Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: os v2.0.1.668

salbertarose wrote:

Security wipe did not work, it just reinstalled version 2.0.1.668.....

A security wipe will NOT reinstall an OS. All that a security wipe does is remove your personal information, data, email, messages, settings, etc. Doing so does NOT reinstall the OS, whatever release.

And, you are dumping on RIM. Even your denial of 'dumping on RIM' went right back to it.

You can get help here without all your **bleep**, and it'd be a lot easier for those who do want to help you.

All that said, let's get past it. IF you can get past it, ok?

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:. THIS will reinstall the current OS from RIM, which at this point seems to still be .358:
1. IF you can, Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.

IF YOU CAN'T DO A BACKUP:
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Samsung Galaxy SII
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Then why the heck would you people suggest a security wipe when I specifically described the problems!!!! It did NOT solve the browser freezing, or the connect to email error, or that battery drain issue.... So why did I waste that time.  Last time I looked out the window, I live in a free country, and if I choose to let RIM know exactly how I feel(which I am not alone), they may wake up and see that customers are not happy, and get their heads out of the clouds and their feet on the ground if they actually care and want to change. They need to know they are ticking off customers by faulty updates without the option of reinstalling the previous version, or proper fixes posted on the knowledge base, or even timely and truthful communication. I have the right to tell them that. You do not have the right to stop me. I am not being rude or abusive. I am only speaking the truth. So again, if anyone else that actually has a fix for the issues I have mentioned above, I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks.

{please keep your posts courteous - Thanks!}

Aspire to inspire before you expire!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 64 Gb and Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'm just a user blackberry trying to help you with possible solutions to the problem. Giving you the information I know to do a wipe and reinstall the OS.

If U like my post click on LIKE Smiley Wink
Developer

@ salbertarose

I reread your initial post and accepting your outburst I thought you wanted to downgrade the OS .. Why I've recommended before a cancellation and then secure the repair of the device through the integrated procedure in DeskTop Manager.

Contributor

To everyone who were sincere and trying to help (and not just being critical of my frustration with RIM), I appreciate your suggestions even though they have not worked. I am very, very  frustrated, and did not intend to insult those of you who actually care. I am very, very frustrated because even though there were some issues  that needed to be solved with the playbook, I was still able to use it prior to installing this latest OS. Now after installing, it has messed things up and I cannot even use it, the battery does not last long enough unplugged, and the browser continually freezes and becomes unresponsive, and it cannot connect to my email servers. I have been posting using my laptop. The desktop manager does not give me the option to revert back to a previous OS, I tried. The security wipe just reinstalls the current faulty OS, something that is very baffling considering that RIM was suppose to have pulled it off of their site? And it does not fix any of the serious issues I am having. I do want to reinstall my old OS and at least be able to use my playbook.  It is currently an expensive paper weight...so does that not make it a white elephant? And I did have nothing but problems since buying the playbook, and have spent a lot of time on the phone with customer support during the free support period.  So for those of you that have developer software/access, you are probably not experiencing the same issues, and need to undertand that  there are obviously people like me out there that are experiencing serious issues with this OS and/or playbook. I do not think it is dumping by letting RIM know that this has happened to us. I have paid a significant amount of money on this device, have had terrible customer support, and there is no professional support on their site. So how is this dumping? Where is the knowledge base articles on a fix for this OS? Thanks

Developer

Yep.. If I find an information to help U.. I post immediately .. 

Contributor

Well, persistance pays off. Someone from RIM must have actually noted my postings, because yesterday when I tried to use the desktop software to downgrade my OS, it would not, stating that I had "the latest update"....Today I tried again after Zukka was so kind to send a message and found that it actually prompted me to intall the "latest  OS 2.0.1.358" ! Thank you RIM for listening! 

Contributor

PS

I thank all of the kind and helpful contibutors that did not give up offering suggestions and advice, and by supporting this forum, and teaching us all to never give up! I thank all of you for your sacrificing your time to help a fellow user!

Developer

I'M VERY HAPPY TO U !!

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

salbertarose wrote:

I do not think it is dumping by letting RIM know that this has happened to us. I have paid a significant amount of money on this device, have had terrible customer support, and there is no professional support on their site. So how is this dumping? Where is the knowledge base articles on a fix for this OS? Thanks

Well, I do think it is dumping. Posting IN this forum is not letting RIM know anything, This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the EULA and message upon registration.

You're post was purely OFF TOPIC and dumping on RIM or crapping on RIM or whatever. It's not helpful to those like myself here who are here to help other users. Complain all you like, you're welcome to, BUT KNOW ONE thing, since this is a public forum, expect responses to it and expect to be called out on it.

If you need help , learn to ask withOUT the faulty criticism. We're here to help. Do you go to a friend asking for help and at the same time tell him his wife is ugly? And you expect no response in return? buahahahaha silly you.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code