Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Telus

photo manager

I bought a playbook for work because of the price point and if it would work would go buy 10 more. . I need to have techs in the field take pictures, add text or a tag and then file them for each work order. when they get back to the office everything is in order for me to download...unfortunately BB doesn't support a decent file manager and no option to "rename" or "save as" the photos into files...any suggestions?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

Re: photo manager

[ Edited ]

I think your two post could have possibly been combined

Gene
Contributor

and............

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

DCOM wrote:

and............

So we dont answer duplicate posts.  

Got it...thanks

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: n-a

I get the impreesion that what you are looking for is a cheap laptop computer that can take pictures - though tagging photos also suggests a certain level of database functionality that isnt necessarily in bargain basement price range. I'm not sure any of the tablets would meet that criteria but I think Acer has some products that might fit the bill if the other suggestions you received don't fit the bill. cant remember the name for the class of computer but they are more mini-laptop than tablet.

We all vent frustration (I certainly have) but, if you do buy PBs for your techs, you may want to check your tone in future posts. The people you most want help from here are everyday folk who are mostly pretty happy with their choice of the Playbook and they do get tired of the slings and arrows. The PB has a lot under the hood and the goodwill of people here is worth gold when you are in a bind.

Hope all works out in camera-land for you!

*reformed venter* Smiley Wink
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Posted comment twice by mistake - sorry (can't see how to delete.. Hence edit)

Trusted Contributor

Quick thought - was musing about the online/offline workflow that might be involved in your business process. Have you considered incorporating an online photo management app (like flicker or photobucket) that supports tagging and such into your process?

If they can upload from the field directly to a cloud-based repository, maybe you could find some bonus efficiencies..?

Don't know which apps are available for Playbook though - it was just a passing thought. (brain likes puzzles)

Best,

Gum
Contributor

On line would be the ticket but more often than not we have no WiFi or cell service. We work at remote mine sites in the mountains so I need everything to be captured on site and brought back to the office

Contributor

LOL...I am getting it.

the Galaxy and the Ipad I looked at would do what I want but didn't have a rear camera...they are designed for Skype etc. (plus expensive). Maybe some models have rear cameras but I didn't see them. I just want to be able to upload a few work orders, blue prints, take a picture of the job, label it or the folder it is in and bring it home...easy squeasy