Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

playbook freezing

I have been having a problem with my playbook freezing up when I am in the browser or trying to play games. If it freezes I have to exit out what I am doing and go back into it. It will usually work normally again but when I am on my playbook if freezes many times. I connected it to my computer and did a virus scan and everything is good on the playbook. What can I do to make it stop freezing, very frusterating. The playbook is only 6months old.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: playbook freezing

1. There are no virus for the PlayBook, so that was a waste of time.

2. On your PlayBook, do a simple restart by touching the battery icon > Restart. See if the freezing continues.

If it does, please describe what else you have running, like WiFi, Bridge, etc. 

I've noticed at times when an email arrives, if I am playing a game, it might temporarily pause (like a half second).

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I have tried resetting it and it still freezes once in a while. I have waited a couple of minutes when it freezes and it still is frozen. I do have it bridged with my phone but when it's not bridged it still freezes. I have wifi on but it freezes when I am playing a game that does not require internet too.

I don't know, then.

My suggestion would be to backup the device to the Desktop Software, then wipe and reload. The device will be as new. Then you can reinstall your apps from AppWorld, and media from the backup.

But let's wait first and see if anyone else here has some wisdom for you.

Oh, and out of curiosity, look at this... Options > About > click on the pull down tab to Hardware.

What's your

• Total Storage?
  • Free Storage?
  • Total Memory?
  • Free Memory?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Total Storage:14.6GB

Free Storage:10.7GB

Total Memory: 1GB

Free Memory: 545.5 MB

Ok, well the Free Memory looks good. No problem there.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: BellAliant

Hi: It may be nothing but I was intrigued by the answer I got when my PB "froze." It appears to be the result of trying to run several Android apps at the same time. It may have nothing to do with your problem but maybe worth a thought.

I was previously unaware of teh Android problem with PB.

Donald

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I find that when I am playing Solitaire, about 1 game in 20, the game will freeze. If I leave it alone and wait, it will resume the game about a minute later, minus a few missing cards. So maybe your problem may be some of the games you are playing.
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Last night, I was browsing and the screen froze. I waited and then powered down. I then powered up, it looks on but no screen.

Right now I'm waiting to drain the power and then recharge to see if that will help. Any opinions? I'm 60 years old and don't have the time to wait help!

brencunning wrote:

Last night, I was browsing and the screen froze. I waited and then powered down. I then powered up, it looks on but no screen.

Right now I'm waiting to drain the power and then recharge to see if that will help. Any opinions? I'm 60 years old and don't have the time to wait help!

No, don't drain tne battery. 
That can be bad news. 

Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to initiate a restart. 

Knowledge Base Updates