Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 7809882489

Re: playbook wifi connection issues

I was having the same deal as you guys, the PB was dropping the connection to the wifi. Synced it up with the router's clock and downgrade it my router to use 802.11g only and it is all working fine now.

It seems pretty crappy to me to have to downgrade the communication protocol to have the PB work. I am still not sure if I will keep it or not. 

G

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32 GB / Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

To gbarrei:

I didn't have to downgrade to G - once the router date/time was synced to my computer's time, all was well and I'm still using the N protocol, no issues.

What I hadn't realized was that my router date/time had apparently never been set initially and that seemed to be causing my connection problems with the PB. The strange thing is that doesn't seem to be a problem for the other laptops in our house...

Seedybee
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook - 16GB
My Carrier: None

I wonder if it could be a problem with the routers? It doesn't seem to reasonable, but on the other hand I think our PB have the same OS and the same hardware, so maybe the routers are the problem. My router is a Cisco linksys wrt160n. I have to set it to g only to get the PB to work consistently. Maybe others can identify their routers, and if they have problems to see if that might be the problem!
Tom
Tom
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

My router is WRT54G. It does b and g from the notes I have.

It seems that we are deriving a conclusion here. I checked on my laptop and saw my WiFi is presently working on 802.11g.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
My Carrier: 7809882489

One thing I did not specify in my original posting, the first thing I did was set my router's clock, and that alone did not do the trick. It was only when I set my router to use protocol version "G only" that the PB started working well. And it has worked well ever since.

Just like Jerry, I have an older router, a D-Link DIR-615 Hardware B.

G

New Contributor

I'm using a D-Link DIR-632 router and it's set to B/G/N mixed mode.

My laptop is connected using the N mode and I would have set the router to N-only mode but I have other devices, (Sony PS3. Nintendo Wii, iPods and BB smartphones) that only connect if I set the router to mixed mode.

Also for what it's worth, I'm using WPA2-PSK security. Not sure if this is a contributing factor or not...

I would hope that the PB isn't so sensitive to such factors that it would depend on what make and model of router people are using to determine whether it connects reliably and consistently or not. Connecting to free public wifi hotspots would be difficult at best if these kinds of problems persisted. 

Hopefully this is a short-lived glitch that RIM will correct in the next OS release.

Seedybee

My Device: Playbook 16gb & Bold
My Carrier: Bell

I am using a Trendnet TEW-638GR and was having issues with my playbook connection.  Switched the mode from b/g/n to just b/g and seems to be working fine now.

Earlier I fixed the clock and thought that was the problem but it seems that both the clock and the n connections are the problem makers.

Thanks for the advice here on fixing both!

New Contributor

First off, thanks for all the great suggestions folks!  I did try most of the suggestions before I placed a call to the support center.  I thought I'd share my experiences to save you waiting 20 mins on hold for assistance!

To recap my problem:

- I've got a wireless router (D-Link DI-625) at home with 5+ wired & wireless devices attached to it, WPA2 encryption, reserved IP address configured on the router for the Playbook (not necessary, but I'm kinda funny that way).  I have no issues with PC, laptop, iPod, Wii, etc. connecting to router and staying connected.

- new PB worked great out of the box, connected to the network fine, performed OS upgrade successfully, and worked for the most part afterwards.  (I later learned the OS upgrade this is what caused the problem).  I don't know my prior OS version, but my current OS version is 1.0.8.6067 (most recent).

- after the OS upgrade, the PB would no longer automatically connect to the network.  Full strength green bars suggested it was connected, but web browsing would not work.  Touching the wifi icon and "Save & Connect" button without making any changes would usually connect back to the network fine, but it would only last a minute or two.

Corrective actions attempted:

- tried turning off auto-configuration (DHCP) for network settings and manually keyed in IP address, DNS, gateway, etc. options.  Behaviour was the same.

- checked the router time and it was a few hours off.  Fixed it to match, behaviour was the same.

- tried clearing the browser cache.  Behaviour was the same.

- I read a suggestion about downgrading the router speed from N to G, I wasn't terribly excited about slowing my network down, so I left this option until later (I never did end up trying this).

- I read a suggestion about changing the network security from WPA2 Personal to WEP.  That was gonna be alot of work for me to change all my other devices, so I left this option for later (I never did end up trying this).

- I read a suggestion regarding a secure wipe and how it had adverse effects for some people -- not even gonna try that.

- I read somewhere about doing a hard reset, but I didn't know how to do that.  (This ultimately was the solution, read detailed solution below).

Solution:

- touch wifi icon, go to saved networks, tap on edit (pencil) and delete your network connection

- initiate hard reset by holding down power and + buttons together for 5 sec until PB shuts off and red light goes on.  PB will reboot and come back on by itself after a few moments.

- launch web browser, swipe top to bottom, select Options, then Privacy & Security.  Select then to "Clear All".

- touch wifi icon, select desired network and re-enter configuration information and it should connect and stay connected!

Commentary:

- the hard reset somehow solves the problem, not sure why.

- RIM acknowledges that the latest OS build introduced this problem.  They are including a fix to this problem in their 2.0 build coming out in Feb 2012.

- I discussed some of the above suggestions with the agent on the phone.  She said the WPA2 Personal security shouldn't be an issue, so that shouldn't need to be changed to WEP.  She did say sometimes switching from N to G helps in certain circumstances, but usually the hard reset does the trick.

- Note the key here to this solution is that the PB worked fine connecting to wifi prior to the OS upgrade.  If it never connected to wifi at all, then it is probably a different issue.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook - 16GB
My Carrier: None

Well, I had done a hard reset before, but it didn't work. This time I followed your instructions exactly, including clearing the browsers settings, and clearing the connection settings, and for the next two hours the PB kept it's connections okay. I am going to bed now, but will keep on testing tomorrow.
Tom
New Contributor

Ditto - tried the hard reset twice and no luck.

One thing i should have mentioned before - in the wifi settings menu, when i'm having trouble connecting, it's not just that i can't connect to my own network, there are NO networks listed, period. It can't find any. It seems that the wireless utility (whether software or hardware related) just goes on vacation for a while. On my third attempt, suddenly the normal wifi networks in my neighbourhood started to appear once again on the list and i was able to reconnect to my own home wifi network.

I use the WPS button on my router to connect rather than manual settings (mainly because i have a randomly generated 63 character WPA key so typing that in manually is.....well not something I like doing a lot...!!)

Anyway i finally got it connected again but whether it will continue to experience these apparently random disconnects has yet to be determined.

I find that the problem usually occurs when i resume from sleep mode or a full shut-down mode.

Tomorrow's another day...

Good luck everyone!

Seedybee