Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: playbook wifi connection issues

Security Type, Band Type, and check marks to select Automatically Obtain IP Address as well as Allow Inter-Access Point Handover.
Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: BT

HOTEL

security type Open

VPN profile non selected

band type dual

automatically obtain IP is ticked

ALL others are unticked

FACTORY

security type WPA2 personal

vpn profiles none selected

band type dual

automatically obtain IP is ticked

ALL others are unticked

with the factory i had a passowrd to enter

with the hotel i have to open a brower and enter user name and password yet the browser will not open, all i get is yellow triangle with Unable to connect and a selection of Try again or open Wifi

Forums Veteran I

Can you tick Allow Inter - Access Point Handover on both wifi signals to see if that helps.
The PlayBook likes start encryption AES /PSK. If your employers router uses different encryption it will likely cause problems with the PlayBook.
Contributor

could only try on hotel network, but still would not open browser, does not make any sense i am adding this comment on my laptop that is connected full stregth no problem

Contributor

having looked across the web looks like nobody has cured this once and for all, will the new version of the OS help? i am currently on 2.1.0.1314??
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

What would help is for BlackBerry to ignore the requirements of their wireless licence and allow obsolete encryption protocols but they were late to market and it will probably not happen. Like our boy in the passing out parade he's the only one marching in step.

That is the latest OS for the PlayBook. The problem is likely the router signal that does not meet the security requirements of the PlayBook even though other devices work.
Contributor

so what are my options then really? as the only reason i bought another was to be able to communicate with my son when away with work...!! could it be that this was a waste of money?

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I

You should be able to connect and use video Chat at the factory. Try using it close to the router.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Wind Mobile Canada

It does not connect well with Starbucks Wifi or the Vancouver Public Librarys wifi. The green pinwheel spins like it is looking for another wifi route. Stopping all downloads and games etc. The playbook is a very annoying, rip your hair out yer head kinda tablet. Then to top it all off, people say I gotta readjust the time, wipe out all data and things will be peachy keen. I have never seen such a poorly backed and poorly put together piece of tech in my life. I am downloading as much music and apps onto my playbook and then getting myself a good tablet like ipad and using my playbook as a glorified nightstand clock and mp3 player until the day I throw it out my 7th floor window and jump up and down on the shattered remains!