Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry bold 9800
My Carrier: Telus

playbook with dead battery, won't charge or boot up

Ok, so here's the deal. I bought a blackberry playbook off of someone. I couldn't afford to buy one new. My son has learning disabilities and I was told a tablet could really help him at school. I bought it at the end of August, but the seal wasn't even broken on the box, it was brand new, they had bought it as a gift at some point, but I don't know when, and ended up not needing it. Anyway, my son let it go dead and now it won't charge. Sounds the same as all the other playbook problems but it isn't. People talk about flashing yellow lights and stuff. I don't get that at all. Here's what happens:

When I plug it in the red light comes on for about twenty seconds, then it goes off. If you wait a few more seconds the dead battery with the lightning bolt appears on the screen for about 25 seconds, then that goes off and the green light appears for about three seconds, then turns red, the battery reappears for a few seconds again, green light for three and red again. It will stay on about five minutes, and then nothing at all. At this point all I can do is unplug, and start over. Nothing I do will get any response at all.  I have done many resets, stack charged for HOURS, I have tried the manufacturer cord, I have sat out in my car and tried the car cord.  Nothing I do has any effect on that battery and lightning symbol, it still shows no charge at all, inspite of sitting for hours stack charging it, and twice now I have left it alone for over twelve hours hooked up to the charger. I have hooked it up to my computer, it will recognize it enough to start the blackberry program, but won't stay connected to update, tried a few times and it disconnects at the end. If I plug it into the computer, I get a quick red light and five green flashes. Have never seen any yellow. Any ideas that I haven't already tried? No way can I afford another one, and have no warranty!

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: playbook with dead battery, won't charge or boot up

1. You have already posted in the this other thread, which has many many tips in the thread on what you can do. There's really no need to post twice.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry bold 9800
My Carrier: Telus

mine is doing completely different things than the other ones on that thread. There was only one other post that I saw where someones playbook was doing similar things to mine, and there were no responses to it yet.

LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger, not the car charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: globe telecoms

Have you already got solution to this .i think we have similar problem. the only difference in mine is. mine can boot until i saw the blackberry logo then it will shut down. when i press the power button 20 seconds or more nothing happens but when i detached and attahed again the charger, same thing happens as what you mentioned. then it will reached till the logo and shut off again. my playbook is not charging i tried leaving it for 10 hrs but still its dead. unless i plug the charger. i can go as far as to the logo and shuts down again. If you find solution to this kindly share. thanks,

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 it

it may be a charger problems. Try to use another new original charger (must be original cause is very difficult to find a 3 amp micro usb charger).

joelimar73 wrote:

my playbook is not charging i tried leaving it for 10 hrs but still its dead. unless i plug the charger. i can go as far as to the logo and shuts down again. If you find solution to this kindly share. thanks,

LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

Doing the above has worked for many users, some not. But please try it first.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

No its not a charger problem because i try the original charger with other playbook and its charging.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

when i plug the charger., the red light glow for a couple of seconds... then the battery icon with bolt appears for couple of seconds... then yellowish light glow for couple of seconds... then i waited for a minute i think , the usual logo of blackberry  with moving multicolor pattern appears, it will stay of couple of minutes and then shuts down. iknow its still on because when its too dark i the room i can see that it glows a little bit. Is this indicates that it is charging on the this state. but it dont see the blinking yellowish wish is an indicator that its charging.

when i dis connect the charger and plug it again on the playbook .. it will  perform again same cycle as above.

joelimar73 wrote:
when i plug the charger., the red light glow for a couple of seconds then the battery icon with bolt appears for couple of seconds, then yellowish light glow for couple of seconds then i waited for a minute i think , the usual logo of blackberry appears,

That is good... it is charging. Be patient. read my post above and keep charging.

Knowledge Base Updates