Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

pop-ups

Lately I have been seeing an annoying number of pop-up advertisements when using the browser.  These have a tiny X in one corner to close them, fine on a desktop with a mouse but on the tablet it's almost impossible to hit the spot to close the ad with a finger.  Is there any sort of ad blocker available for the playbook?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: pop-ups

[ Edited ]

Yes, go into your browser settings and turn on pop up blocking amongst other settings. I would also turn flash off and it will speed up your browsing.  You can turn it on as needed and then simply refresh the page to initialize it when required to watch a video for example.

Look at my screenshot to see some browser settings and how I have it set up.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Thanks for the reply.  The pop up block was already on, but these ads seem to be animated I tried shutting off javascript and flash.  Time will tell. 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

I'd regularly clean your cache and cookies also. Give the spammers nothing to use against you. You could also download an Android ported browser called Maxthon, its pretty good but can't use Flash, it's free.

A new browser called OrigamiBrowser is being developed by a developer over at Crackberry's forums and it is extremely promising, fast, uses Flash, and has plenty of blocking capabilities.  He's looking for testers currently. The download is free for now but you need to know how to side load apps onto the playbook. It will most likely be available for sale in BB World one day when more mature. I love it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/origamibrowser-experimental-release-809048/