Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: blackberry

Re: radiation fliter for screen

Well you don't have to worry as I had NO intentions of holding the Playbook to my head.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sorry, you misunderstood me...  I'm not worried and I am not asking for myself, but replying to the one who started this thread and asked the question. Smiley Wink

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

This is only a theory about the phones. There is no conclusive evidence. There are many millions of these phones in use world wide. We don't see thousands of people getting cancer from these. This is my opinion from what I have been reading and hearing.

Jewrry G

Jerry G.
Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: blackberry

And in my opinion I know that while it has no effect whatsoever on some people, it does affect others. So for those of us who it affect we have to take the necessary precautions.
Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: radiation filter for screen

The screen itself does not put out any radio frequency radiation off of its surface. It is light only. There are no devices in the screen that can make dangerous magnetic fields of any kind. In fact, to measure the very small amount of magnetic field from the screen would take some very sophisticated sensitive instruments. 

The screen uses microcircuit technology that controls the twisting of liquid crystals working on the principal of high speed very low voltage and very low current electric potential difference. This twisting action of the crystals shifts their angle of refractive index thus changes the popularization of the light passing through between a set of opposing polarize filters. The light source is LED in these tablets.

I remember back in the 1950's and 1960's there were stories about how watching TV was going to make people sterile, possibly go blind, be dangerously X-Rayed, and so on. They even had so called medical reports through research saying they had proof. There were people publishing and selling articles to make money out of this type of exaggerated information. Now they are doing the same with the cell phones.

The only thing dangerous about the old CRT TV sets was for people who did not know what they were doing and would try to service the set themselves. Some people were injured very badly and where hospitalized from electric shock, but nothing else more. There were a few cases where some people actually died from electrocution in trying to fix their TV set.

When radio first came out in the mid 1920's there were many stories about how it was bad for health and people would suffer medical ailments from listening too much. One of the big rumors was listening to radio was going to cause deafness from the artificial sound pressure coming from the speakers. If you put your head inside of the speaker box and turn it up full loud with some rock music, I would have to agree.

Now that TV has been around for many years, I have never read any case of someone going sterile, or having an illness from watching TV. An indirect affect from watching too much TV is weight gain, and degradation of health because the extensive TV watchers are not getting enough exercise. This can be also had from lying around too much and over eating in relation to their physical activity, and being very lazy.

The big thing to knock now are the cell phones and the WiFi connections. We live in cities that have very powerful broadcast TV and radio stations since the near beginning of the last century. For the last 40 years we've been bombarded by thousands of powerful signals from satellites, microwave, UHF, and VHF repeaters. These signals add up in to the many megawatts of power when combining all their energy together. Then we have the electric power lines in our homes that contribute to the low frequency radiation spectrum, and so-on.

Even though a phone may be near to your ear, when doing the math involving the inverse square law factors and the other complex calculations, and taking test measurements,  to compare its average of 60 to 100 milliwatts in reference to distance against all the other radiation we have been getting, the phone is giving us a very tiny amount.

This is my personal view, and the view of many other engineers, and many doctors who have been working their lifetime in this field. There are many millions of cell phone users world wide. Many are using these phones a lot since they've been out on the market. I myself have been a very heavy user of cell phones since 1991. This subject is very controversial and is too involved to get heated up over in emails such as this.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.