Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

scrubbing backup file for Playbook

I have a playbook that got really bogged down with App data (1.5 GB).  I backup it up to my PC, and wiped it.  It runs really smoothly, but now, I would like to put back some of the app data, but not all of it.  Is there a way to only re-install some of the data? I know that the *.bbb is just a zipped file, but within there there is a app.tar, but opening using a tar supported program doesn't seem to work.

Has someone else come across this? and hopefully found a solution.

thank you

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: scrubbing backup file for Playbook

I think it will only restore data for the apps that are installed when you do the restore. If you have not reinstalled all your previous apps, the data does not restore. I essentially did the same as you. After I restored the data, I installed a previously installed app but the previous data was not there. So my conclusion is only data for installed apps will restore.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

I have tried all normal mac and linux tools to open the tar file and got nowhere. it's probably a security feature to allow only the blackberry id owner to access the backup file. Not helpful!

Even if you opened the tarball I don't see how you could load back app data manually. 

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Thank you for your comments.  I will see what happen if I load back the 1.5GB app data, and see if the playbook takes it all, even if not all the apps are re-installed.

Thanks