Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: PassPort, Z30
My Carrier: Bell

there is supposed to be a back door way to run Skype on a PB.

[ Edited ]

"there is supposed to be a back door way to run Skype on a PB.

All I have found is a port of a 'droid' app and only the chat feature works. You have to side load it into your PB.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8900 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: I like my Playbook

There's a website which I think is called IMO. Search Youtube, they have vids showing how it can be done. I've not tried it, my friends and family don't use Skype.
Developer
My Device: PassPort, Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Unfortunately IMO on Youtube yields the International Math Olympics videos.
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8900 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Try searching in youtube "how to run skype on playbook". That might yield better results, or try google IMO.
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: there is supposed to be a back door way to run Skype on a PB.

ReelPortal app works, however everyone in the video chat needs to login and use ReelPortal, you can login using a Skype account.

I am getting better and better with my BlackBerry 16GB PlayBook bridged to my BlackBerry Bold 9700.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile-US (for 9900)

The only way close to Skype is to use http://imo.im

None of the sideload approaches provide even Skype voice.

This (imo.im) app lets you run Skype in a browser window on the PB. I've just tried it against another of my Skype accounts on a different device, just with voice. Haven't tried video at all.

Skype is the one app that would get quite a bit of publicity...I cannot understand why RIM doesn't provide a way of at least running Skype voice...and really Skype video as well.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

GeorgeB wrote:

The only way close to Skype is to use http://imo.im

None of the sideload approaches provide even Skype voice.

Both parties must be in imo.im and it's voice only. It's also painfully slow.

There in no skype video calling on playbook til RIM and Microsoft collaborate on an app that can access the camera. Android player has no access to the camera so forget sideloading for the moment. 

My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Orange UK

Yup.  I have looked high and low for a decent video chat option for cross platform chat and can find NOTHING.  Imo does not work correctly on upgraded os2 andreelportal is really poor quality.

I love the PB.  I love thesize, it's speed, it's UI, but I can't get over its software limitations.  I'm going away in 3 weeks and need video chat.  So ilooked at my options last couple of days and unfortunately iam now on the verge of selling pb and getting an android tablet..............and giving up my bb handset for a galaxy s2.  the limitations of the pb has unfortunately highlighted the limitations of bb to me and unless things change inthenext few days with video chat options on pb, RIM have lost a loyal customers.  Sad, but the way of the world.