Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

to charge or not to charge

Does any one know if it is bettery for the PB top charge every night regardless or to let the battery run down?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Re: to charge or not to charge

Hello Blakeroberts,

Since the battery is a Lithium-Ion it does not need periodical discharges. You may charge / discharge the unit however you would like.

Euclidics

If this or any posts in this thread were helpful please Kudos the author.
If this or any posts in this thread were the solution to the topic, please accept the post as the solution so others can view it.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks!

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Euclidics is spot on. Topping off the battery at any point is no problem, and actually recommended for Li-Ion batteries.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

I habitually top it up, and even use it while plugged in to keep the Playbook ready to go (at 100%).

A couple things to note, in case you didn't notice:

1. Do not charge via USB PC - it is only enough juice to keep the battery from losing power

2. Charging by using an existing AC plug from your blackberry will take longer because the output is lower amps

3. Charging with included plug is fastest (over 1 A)

Question: If not in a rush to charge, is it better for the battery to charge at a lower amp, or does it not matter?

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

chrispycrunch wrote:

Question: If not in a rush to charge, is it better for the battery to charge at a lower amp, or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter. The only difference in the lower amp charger (like your 8900 charger) and the Playbook charger is like the difference in a 1/8th inch PVC water pipe and a 1"+ water pipe.

Guess which one will fill the 50 gallon barrel quicker?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook (sadly)
My Carrier: Rogers

With regard to charge rate, I have looked specifically for good information on this, relating to Li-Ion batteries.  There doesn't seem to be any specific recommendations, however, one thing that is ALWAYS mentioned when discussing Li-Ion batteries is their dislike of heat.  They degrade quickly when kept hot, especially if carrying a full charge.

Since charging causes heat, somewhat proportional to the charging rate, I suspect that charging at a lower rate might extend the useful life of the battery.  How much I don't know, but I think the logic is reasonable.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

charging with a legit charger does not cause heat, provided the battery has properly working filter.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: