Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: rogers

why will my playbook only charge with the supplied charger it came with

i have a playbook 16 gb with latest software and from day one it will only charge with the charger it came with. 

none of my other blackberry chargers wont charge it    i went and bought the playbook dock rapid charger and that wont even charge the playbook    very odd   

i even changed out the batters to new ones and still same thing .    

no ideas why the dock station wont even charge it ,   anyone have ideas 

everything on the playbook works great , just this small hipcup    

so u guess i have a rapid dock charger that will collect dust till i buy a 2nd playbook 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: why will my playbook only charge with the supplied charger it came with

[ Edited ]

Because the PlayBook requires a certain charging rate which matches the following specifications and your phone's chargers do not match these specifications (check the manual or online):

Input: 100-240V - 300mA 50-60Hz
Output: 5V - 1.8A

However, with that said, you can buy a cheap alternative that I discovered since I own an HP Touchpad along with a BlackBerry PlayBook:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Cheap-way-to-rapidly-charge-your-PlayBook...

Also, which dock station did you buy? Please post a link to a description of the device/picture for the only dock station I know of for the PlayBook doesn't come with batteries...

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It's been posted here many many times, try the magnetic rapid charger.

Much faster charge and so easy to connect with no fear of damaging the USB port.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Rapid-Travel-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004XBZ728

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: T-mobile

I was just searching the web with the same question.

Only my blackberry wall charger will charge my Playbook.
It's not the end of the world, but it is a little inconvenient.

I have a 4 usb port wall charger that I like to use to charge my phone, tablet and BT earpiece all at once, and having to use the BB charger makes a mess of my "charging station".

Chaos, those are very generic specifications that any usb type charger will meet. The 1.8A is higher than standard (1A), but that only effects the charge rate.

Alternative chargers are fine and good, but that doesn't answer the question of "why?"
It seems to me there must a "handshake" of some type between the PB and the charger which would explain why only a certain few chargers work.

I guess BB sees that as a safeguard of some kind, but it would be pretty hard to screw up plugging in a usb charger.
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

If you want to use a non Playbook USB source you need to make up a charge-only lead.

Using a cheap USB extension cable with male plug one end and female the other end...

Slit the cable sleeve, pull out the white and green wires, cut them, insulate the ones going to the male plug, and connect together the green and white going to the female, plug. Solder and wrap with tape.  The shorted data cables seem to provide the "handshake" mentioned which tells Playbook to bend over and take it.

Use this in conjunction with the Playbook USB cable to charge from standard USB source.

extension.jpg

Regarding wall chargers, My Macbook pro will only charge from a Macbook Pro charger - is that so inexplicable??

________
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

n2audio wrote:
I guess BB sees that as a safeguard of some kind, but it would be pretty hard to screw up plugging in a usb charger.

No, those USB cables are just now configured to move the amperage needed the charge the PlayBook. All USB cables are not made equally.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there are 2 cables

charge only with 2 wires

cahrge and USB communitaction with 4 wires

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

By the way Troy, it would be nice to get credit for something I told you how to accomplish...

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

use can also use a piece of paper to prevent the 2 data points from making contact

http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Charge-Cable-Hack/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor I

Now that's cool Knottyrope.

knottyrope wrote:

use can also use a piece of paper to prevent the 2 data points from making contact

http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Charge-Cable-Hack/