Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

General question about Push without BES/BIS

Hello,

I have a general question about the BlackBerry Push-Service:

On my BlackBerry Curve 8900 with OS 5.0.0.1067 I have no BIS or BES. I installed those legendary ServiceBooks from anworm and with ShangMail I can use the BlackBerry MailClient as it was Push.

But I doubt that this is really push, because my provider doesn't provide any BlackBerry Option or special services.

I think that ShangMail is just sending requests to the ShangMail Server or has a connection to it open all the time, initiated by ShangMail on my phone.

I thought the real BB-Push is another story, that here the BB Data Server can directly send to the phone initiated by the server through the provider - but I don't know it exactly.

I installed the application "WhatsApp" and here I noticed that even when it is not running, I can get messages from other WhatsApp-users!
Now I am confused and would like to know how is it really with this push and those apps using a kind of push without BIS/BES.

Could anyone tell me?

Thank you, kind regards,

franc

Super Contributor
My Device: *
My Carrier: No Carrier

Re: General question about Push without BES/BIS

your question is quite complex mixing many things. Please if you dont mind then can you be more pecific on the point so that its easy to answer

Highlighted
New Developer

OK, let me begin with this question:

How is it possible, that WhatsApp is switched off and another user of WhatsApp can send me a message when I don't have BIS or BES?
My provider has definetly no BlackBerry services.

Super Contributor

General Speaking it is not possible but techically there are some cases that it is possible.

1.   If the WhatsApp is off then it may be that because the user is on another WhatsAPP not yours.

2.  If same whatsapp users then one should send the message and other is for now offline then the message if OTA (ON the Air) and waiting for him to online. When it si online then the message is delvired even in the case the WhatsApp is off.

3.  There may be a case that he have a schedulear and on a specific time it sends the email. After that the process will be same as explained in 2nd that it remain OTA

Can you tell me more case for your scence so that i can give you more information.

New Developer

The "WhatsApp"-App uses the telefone number as internal username. Each member of WhatsApp is in the database of the WhatsApp server with his phone number.
When I install WhatsApp, the App searches my addressbook and compares it with the database of the server. In my App I have then all those contacts which have installed WhatsApp too.
Now somebody sends me a WhatsApp-message. If my WhatsApp is running on my phone I understand it. I guess WhatsApp has a direct contact to the WhatsApp Server and when there is a message, I get it immediately.
But my wondering is, when I close WhatsApp totally or I never started WhatsApp after a reboot of my phone.
Now I have no (more) Icon of WhatsApp and I guess it is really not running.
But when somebody sends me a WhatsApp-message, I get a little icon on my screen and a sound, because the message was sent immediately!
Maybe WhatsApp is still running, but without Icon? But is this possible?
Is it possible that an App starts with the OS, but in background without any Icon?

Super Contributor

First of all i am gone for a luch so that i am late to send yo response. Now yes this possible that a service will run in background wihtout any icon. For example consider the windows application like Internet Downlaod Mananger. When you close it its icon will be vanshied. But when you try to download something then its apeared automcaittaly. Thats means its running in bakcground. But in this case the download mananger will then reapear but in your case WhatsApp will not appered. Just a formal notifcation. I see some applications that runs wihtout notification but running poreporly on background like Porxy servers in windows.

Am i right? I think the Whatsapp will run in background after you close it acculy its running. yo can verify it by checking the process list.

New Developer

Help me quick, where do I find the process list?
Super Contributor

Its simple if you are using windows then

1.   Right click on task bar (where the clock is displays  bottom right conroner of desktop screen thats total bar is task bar)

2.   Select Task Mananger

3.   In the popup dialog box select process

New Developer

This is a misunderstanding.
I am not using Windows I am using a BlackBerry Curve 8900 with OS 5.0.0.1067.
I have never seen a native Tool where I can show all the running apps and modules. There are some hints like:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Get-all-hidden-Application-Processes/td-p/39...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/How-to-list-a-background-application/m-p/277...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1090929/blackberry-how-to-get-the-background-application-process-...

but here I need to build an app for it...
Super Contributor

Then i think  i feel sorry for that because i am not a developer. I am IT Mananger, IT Support Engineer and Exchange Administrator. I am very sorry that further more i cannot help you. As far as concerns about BB then there is no application that shows you all prcoesses. May the new windows MS windows phone 7 will support it but currently i dont have any techincal updated about it.

Plase dont mind it. I am unable to help you in developlment side.