Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9600
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

How to make push notification like APN (apple push notification ) with Blackberry API

Hello All,

I want to know how to get push notification like we have with APNs. I found one demo in sample code of RIM named as "httppushdemo" with server and client code.

It's working in way that,

My custom server  (java servlet) push some data to some static ip (on MDS with given port), on my desktop and BB device Receive that data from MDS , where my blackberry simulator and MDS both is on. So in this case i got direct push notification when application is on.        

So flow for simulator is like,

custom server  --------------> MDS (with specific ipadrees / port) <--------------  Simulator

(make push)                                                              (receive push)

But my question is that in case of real device i don't have MDS for pushing text to specific ip adress.  I have MDS in my device itself. So from custom server where i need to push the text ?

Direct to device ? if yes then please tell me where can i change my bb device ip address. ?

Thanks In Advance,

Tejas

Tejas Barbhaya

Logistic Infotech
tej.barbhaya@gmail.com
www.logisticinfotech.com
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to make push notification like APN (apple push notification ) with Blackberry API

BES push is appropriate for BES (Enterprise) devices, but requires that you install software inside the corporate.  So it is typically used to push corporate date to corporate devices.

You have the same functionality for BIS devices, if you use BIS push.  And as most BES devices actually have BIS these days, you can BIS push to most devices. 

Search the forum for references to BIS push.  There was a very good web cast about it recently too. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How to make push notification like APN (apple push notification ) with Blackberry API

The APN is similar to the concept of PPG in BlackBarry which is either MDS in BES world or BlackBerry Push Service in BIS world. You http post your push to one of those PPGs and it will route the message to the device for you.

Keep in mind when you push to BES user you push to the device by email address or PIN and through BIS push you can only push by PIN.