Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

Re: Incoming Push invoking Browser

Hey Matt,

thanks for your investigation.

That's good to know. I didn't see a hint to this invocation framework behaviour anywhere in the documentation...

It makes sense on one hand, but is really limiting my options.

I'm working on (better: almost done with) a superpower-enabled  version of Google's Chrome2Phone. It will have well-known features like pushing the current site to your phone (which will auto open it on your BB device(s)) to directly putting stuff in your clipboard.

Some new features include selecting a phone number from your browser and with one click your phone will start dialing within seconds. Same goes for email addresses (compose new mail), dates (new calendar entry), ...

Plugins for MS Outlook as well as other browsers are in my pipeline too.

Your suggested workaround via the Hub therefore isn't really an option for me since it kills the whole ease-of-use and speed paradigm I'm looking for.

While calling numbers and starting the browser actually does work (see my workaround above), some other actions don't (see my thread). You made me think my workaround might also once get disabled, as it seems to circumvent the expected behaviour...

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Incoming Push invoking Browser

I can definitely see how this invoke restriction can limit what you're trying to achieve.

I know that optimizations are coming to the invoke framework down the road that might help you, but for now, you might have to make use of the BlackBerry Hub notification system in some way to get close to your desired behaviour.

Perhaps the Cascades support forum has some better suggestions for you.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help at this time,

Matt