Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

rnd
New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Ufone

Is Content Provider URL required for push application on client side?

Hi All,

I have installed Blackberry Push SDK, now I am able to run server "sample-push-initiator" and "debug-portal" provided in BPSS. I also installed sample push app "sample-push-enabled-app" for client on my device. But I am unable to register my app from device. It requires Content Provider URL when I try to register.

Is Content Provider URL required for push application on client side?

In settings, what should I set Content Provider URL? I tried with various options https://localhost:8443/sample-push-initiator, with my IP address but was not able to register device app successfully.

I understand there is a browser push but if I want to do a push from a java application then is Content Provider URL also required?

Thanks in advance.

RND

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Is Content Provider URL required for push application on client side?

Yes content provier URL is needed to use the sample app. It should be the publically accessible IP address of the server where you installed the SDK Tomcat. Trying to use 'localhost' in the URL will obviously not work because it needs to be public IP address.

Content provider URL is required if you use the SDK's sample application's because those sample applications show you the best practice of subscribing. Just like Google's C2DM push where you need to send the registration_id to the content provider you need to send the pin of the device to the content provider in BlackBerry push.

Ensure you are not trying this over WiFi. Your device needs to be running on BIS on the 2G, 3G network.