Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: OS 10.2.0.424: The app is unable to receive a BES push message once the work space is locked with a password.

sylvainsaintlaurent wrote:
Yes, the Push works when the "consumer space" has a password.

It's only when the "work space" has a password that the Push workflow is "blocked" (or broken).

Garett, we can confirm this too. If you remove the workspace password, but add a Device password, then the Push is delivered properly even when the device is password-locked. It's only the locking from a workspace password which inhibits the regular Push.  That gives a workaround that may be acceptable in some organizations.

Looking forward to confirmation from BlackBerry, and an ETA for the fix. I hope this will be considered critical enough to make it into the release for 10.2.1.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: OS 10.2.0.424: The app is unable to receive a BES push message once the work space is locked with a password.

Quick update: we reproduced in house the other day and have escalated to development for more details. Stay tuned...

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Retired

Hi folks,

So it sounds like this will require an OS update to fix. As a workaround if your apps use the headless architecture then it will be able to receive push messages again:

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Samples/tree/master/pushCollector/10.2

If switch to headless then you can also have your app listen for the STARTED trigger to register (create a channel) when the app is first installed rather than requiring the user to open the app before pushes can be received.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer

Thanks Garett.

Are you saying that using headless (I assume _sys_headless_nostop is required, and therefore special signing permissions) will magically bypass the issue, and the pushes will be sent through even when the workspace is locked?

Does the Push have to go to the service, or would it be sufficient to have a "dummy" service which actually did nothing itself, and simply let the UI app carry on as before? If true, this would be a pretty trivial addition to an app.

Am I wrong about headless_nostop being required? I thought that was the only way to hear STARTED, but I just realized you might be able to get that (at startup or just after installation) and the service would be invoked, but allowed to run for only 20s or less as with other non-nostop services. Is that actually how it works?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

One reason I'm trying to clarify the headless_nostop question is because apparently that may not work properly under all 10.2 in the wild, which is why they're planning to reject apps in BlackBerry World that ask for that permission prior to 10.2.1.

If we actually do need nostop here, how can we find out what the issue is with it not working on certain releases? (Or can anyone confirm that the 10.2 released on Bell and Rogers will in fact work perfectly well with nostop even now?)

Retired

Hi Peter,

The approach would not require any extra permissions, but would require the push handling to be performed in the service section of the app (newly written).

I don't believe listening for STARTED requires special permissions either, but I will double check with Shadid.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Retired

Confirmed: No special permission needed for triggers, only for how long a service can run headless once triggered. So in this case the workaround does not require any extra permissions

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer

Oh nice. So the issue of Push apps not registering for launch until the user runs them the first time post-installation is effectively gone, provided you restructure the application to use a headless service as the Push recipient (and provided you are willing to have 10.2 as the minimum platform version).

Thanks Garett and Shadid for clarifying and confirming!

New Contributor
My Device: Q5 Q10 Z10 Z30 - Developer (since v3.6)
My Carrier: Telus Rogers Bell

Thanks Garett.

Can BB provide a date for the OS patch?

The workaround with the “headless app” is a costly option.  I mean, since it’s a new feature, I’ll have to invest in several weeks of testing before releasing a proven solution to my clients.  By then, if my market analysis is right, BB will have released the patch.

SSL

Highlighted
Retired

sylvainsaintlaurent wrote:

Thanks Garett.

Can BB provide a date for the OS patch?

The workaround with the “headless app” is a costly option.  I mean, since it’s a new feature, I’ll have to invest in several weeks of testing before releasing a proven solution to my clients.  By then, if my market analysis is right, BB will have released the patch.

SSL

The root cause is still being investigated, so a fix should not be expected anytime soon.

The headless app approach is a bit more complex but provides a much better user experience. I believe you are already engaged with our internal support teams who will be able to help make the code change as painless as possible.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!