Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: MTN

OS5 Push notifications not received

I've received my eval credentials from support.

I tested this with the "PushDemo_BlackBerryOS_5_0_And_Up.cod" and the high and low level sample. But I do not receive push notifications on the client.

On the client-side the app registers successfully with both BB and the content provider.

On the server-side I see the subscriber has been registered.

When sending a push message, I receive the 1001 code, which is an indicator of success (AFAIK)

Our Bold 9900 runs OS 7.1, BIS is active, the firewall is off. I've also tried a factory reset. And push notifications work for What's app.

Debugging the PushDemo example and UrbanAirship example reveals that the OnMessage event never fires although the device is registerd.

Is this an account issue? Or what am I missing? 

Thanks

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: OS5 Push notifications not received

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

What you're describing does not sound like an account issue.

I would recommend deleting the app from the device and installing the sample created for OS < 5.0, the earlier sample gives you much more control and visibility into the entire process. As well the 5.0+ APIs have a few issues which makes troubleshooting very difficult in some sscenarios.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Contributor

Hi Garett, I appreciate the quick reply.

I installed the 4.6-4.7 version, and this does not seem to work either. I also tried on a secondary device BB Curve 9300 (OS 6) with the same result.

Please let me know if any other solution comes to mind.
I don't see the source for the different versions. Is this something you can send me.

Thanks,
Attie
Retired

What do you mean you don't see the source? Are you installing an app you compiled in the IDE or a pre-compiled COD file?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Contributor

Sorry, long day, pls ignore the src request. I didnt see a PushLib42.java, and assumed I was missing something.

I do however see that there are preprocessor directives for v4.2 as well.

I've tested with both the v5.0 and v4.3 precompiled COD files. And I didnt receive push messages.

I've also compiled my own version v5.0 by using PushLib50, and no push messages. OnMessage was never fired.

I just compiled the app again (which defaults to using PushLib43), and for whatever reason I am now able to receive "push notifications". I am thoroughly confused!

Thanks for your help!

Retired

Great to hear it's working now for you! The 5.0+ APIs hide much of the logic, I'd recommend sticking with 4.3 which should make life much easier.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!