Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Push Notification for BIS and BES

Hi All,

I have a question in regards to push notification sdk. I'd like to develop an application with a push notification that could work in both BIS and BES. According to the Push Notification Development Guide, you would need to specify MDS Connection Service host name in the enterprise.ppg.address.

So here are my questions

1. Could Push Notification SDK support both BIS and BES?
  2. Is MDS Connection Service host name unique per BES server?
    1. If MDS Connection Service host name is unique per BES server, does it mean I would need to have a separate SDK instances for each of the BES server that the application will run on?
    2. If there are 2 companies (with 2 BES Server) who will use the app, does the app need to be compiled separately because they may have a different MDS Connection Service host name?

Thank you!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Push Notification for BIS and BES

Hi,

Did you get the answers to your questions?

Please let me know the same.

Also Which service is best for the Push notification?

Thanks. It is urgent for me to know answer...

Warm regards,

Shubhangi

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Could Push Notification SDK support both BIS and BES?

Yes - you can use the SDK to build a server-side application to send push messages to both BIS and BES devices.

Is MDS Connection Service host name unique per BES server?

I believe so. If you have more than one BES typically there is one 'central' MDS server where you send the push messages.

If there are 2 companies (with 2 BES Server) who will use the app, does the app need to be compiled separately because they may have a different MDS Connection Service host name?

Yes, every company has its own BES server with different names you can't create one server-side application that can generically push through BES. You can make the BES/MDS URL a configurable property/setting so you don't have to re-compile per se.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: O2

[ Edited ]

Hey,

This is really helpful for us, thanks for the reply!

I wanted to request a little more info, I'm not clear in your response where the client/server lines are. So each client could (manually/or via compile switch) provide details of the BES server it's connected to, into our server implementation that would store that data alongside the application details. Then the server could switch and send push messages to the BIS, or BES server (with address provided by client) the client is registered against.

So.. is there no way programatically get details of the BES server from the client? This seems like an obvious feature, but I can't find anything in the 7.0 javadocs.

Does this mean we would need to modify the registration procedure so that the BES URL is provided at registration to our server? Any idea whether this is straight forward?

It seems peculiar that there's no way to write a public application which, in a straight forward manor, is able to receive push messages when installed on any blackberry handset. At  a basic level, how to most public applications support push? Is it common to for instance restrict to only BIS registered handsets? Is it common to deploy client specific builds for cooporate BES networks?

James