Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Push Notifications Registration problems on BES devices

[ Edited ]

Dear Blackberry Masters of the world,

We have a blackberry app available in the stores which has been functioning properly registering and receiving push notifications for well over a year.

However, we recently have been onloading customers with BES devices which has introduced a slew of certificate and authentication related problems. We have solved most of them so far, but the final hurdle seems to be getting push notifications to work with these BES devices. We are very much not BES experts.

Though we don't have a great test environment to use, we have aquired one Blackberry 7 BES device and a test BES 5 server so we can try to debug the problem.

We believe we have narrowed it down to the push registration process the device undergoes when the app is openned. We get error response: rc=10001.

First thing is our understanding of the basic requirements here to register with push server.

1. Does our BES device need to also have BIS in order to register push notifications in the same way as our non BES devices?

2. When I look into Service Book listing on this device I am not seeing the "Blackberry Internet Browsing Service" that I would expect to see on a non-BES device. Do we need this Service Book and if so how do we enable it?

3. Could this missing Service Book be the most likely problem why we are unable to register with push servers?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Push Notifications Registration problems on BES devices

Hi and welcome to the forums!

When pushing through BIS, as you are, the registration process does not touch the BES at all, it is routed directly through BIS. The routing is hard-coded and cannot be done through any other transport.

The above being said, you need to have BIS connectivity on the device or BIS/Public Push cannot work. You would need to verify with the carrier/owner of the device that it has a BIS data plan.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!