Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Re: Push message don't arrive after device reboot

Ok guys!

I've implemented own thread and registration yesterday. During the test I see that on some device first or even second registration fail. But finally them get push sometime. I haven't seen so far that I registered and opened socket for push messages and app doesn't receive it. So it looks like more relaible solution. At least during this time my app can poll server over wifi/wap2 or even bis-b.

I don't know how 5.0 Push API works. What will be in case when it fails on these two steps - registration and keeping socket opened. If some from RIM could comment it would be great.

Currently I think if I would be pation probably my app will receive pushes after. I will probably give one more chance to it to test if pushes are coming after 10-20 minutes.

There are drawbacks of 4.3 approach - you should yourself process sll error cases with registration and network. And also it means that your app or service should be always running.

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Following your lead I have converted all my 5.0 style code (PushApplication etc.) into 4.3 style (web requests and a listening loop). The code feels much better now, like I have more control.

It does seem a bit more reliable, but still not 100%. I register and get "success" back from BPAS, start the listen thread ok but sometimes still no message. Early indication is that if I register three times it is reliable (yuck).

I'll keep you posted on the testing and thanks for sharing your good idea to go back to the lower level APIs!

Developer

Simon,

I see also delay for 5.0 devices before I get push message - 40-60 secs after disconnection from server. But so far they arrive. It's strange because I see network indicator whenever I try to send message in this period. 

Let me know if your messages still don't arrive.

Thanks,

Eugen

Developer

This sunday I lost push with new approach on 9860 with 7 OS. Investiagating.

I can reregister and see from logs that everything is going ok. But device doesn't receive push messages.

Thanks,

Eugen

Contributor

Hi,

At the moment we are awaiting our push production credentials (eval period has expired!).

Once we are up and running again I will update on progress.

Simon

Developer

I found that push issue is valid only if I use dev and live app on the one device. Looks like something wrong with it.

But good sign - it's not affecting real live users Smiley Happy

Contributor

the story continues....

We have our blackberry push essential credentials and have put them in. After battling with 502 errors when the device tried to register all day Friday, this morning it seems to register ok (no code change at our end).

So now the situation is that we can register OK on the client, the server can push messages for processing, and my little utility that makes "subscriptionquery-message" requests correctly reports whether or not the client is subscribed.

However, the messages never appear on the client! With the eval server they woud appear sometimes, but not reliably, but I am unable to get the production server to work at all. So I am back in the situation where all my diagnostics are saying that everything is OK, but it isn't working.

Are there any more gotchas for moving from eval to production? I have changed the base URL, put the content provider id at the start of the server URL etc.

Thanks for any more advice!

Contributor

Quick update...

As mentioned in another thread, it is now working. Not sure what changed (nothing at our end that I am aware of) but I am very relieved!

Developer

Interesting. Because I lost pushes for my app, for my device. Investigating.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: at&t

would love to know the latest status on ths. I am planning to move from 4.3 push approach to 5.0 approach. However I am worried about the reliability of 5.0 push. So I would like to hear from your experience.