Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Visitor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Airtel

Push vs Socket

Hi Guys,

I am new to posting questions in forum, kindly bear with me. I have couple of question regarding Push architecture. I googled for an hour, but cannot find my answers.

My application needs immediate response, when server gets new data. This could be accomplished by Push or creating an constant socket connection with the server. I guess the second one consumes more battery, because there will be no use of Push then Smiley Wink

What is the difference between Push and always-on socket connection with server?

Is Push using different method to get updates from server?

If Push is not always-on data connectivity. Then how the data is pushed from MSP to the device without data connectivity. Is it using any other protocol like USSD?

Thank you,

Alan Flik

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10

Re: Push vs Socket

Hi Alan,

here is a good ppt document whick explains all the different kinds of pushes you can use on the BlackBerry.

Hosted Data Push Services for Consumer Applications

Page 2 & 3 & 5 in this ppt should explain why you should use push and not polling for data in an specific interval or have an always-on-socket!!! 

There are some different kinds of push Services RIM is providing.

1. Mail-push
  2. Enterprise push via MDS Connections Service (MDS - CS is a part of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server)
  3. Web signals (For pushing different icons to HomeScreen for example)
  4. BlackBerry Push Serivce (i´m not sure but think this is for applications for consumer, so it is not needed to connect to a special BES and works also via BIS

See page 6 in the ppt for more informations.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Best Regards

Lars.

---

My Twitter:
http://twitter.com/lgentz