Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: DEV Alpha C & BB 9720
My Carrier: Idea and Airtel

Username and passowrd prompt while registering with push service in device.

Hello ,

Just now checked the push sample application in BB10 its working fine and able to recieve the push nootification from the server..

Could someone clarify me the below points..

1. Is the username and passwod required while i am using the production environment.

2.as for testing i downloaded the push sdk and it contains tomcat with high and low level applications to send the messages to the devices.. do we need to have such things to register the device.in production?

3.What information nedded to succesfully get the notification fom push server to device ?

Thnks

Yakub Pasha.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Username and passowrd prompt while registering with push service in device.

Hi Yakub,

For 1., what username and password are you referring to?  You do need an application ID and password to be able to send pushes (if not using BES push).

For 2, the Apache Tomcat that comes with the Push Service SDK is just to deploy our high-level and low-level sample Push Initiators.  You don't have to use Tomcat at all with the SDK if you don't want to.  The Push Service SDK is just a set of Java APIs that you can use to develop your Push Initiator (your server-side application that sends out pushes).

3. There's a good deal of documentation found here: https://developer.blackberry.com/develop/platform_services/push_overview.html  

Hopefully, it can help you determine what you need to get the push sent.  

The most important items you need are application ID, password, PPG URL, and list of PINs that you wish to push to (these BlackBerry PINs must have your application running and be registered to receive pushes).

Matt

Developer

Thank you very much for your response..
if 100 devices need to get push notification from server means that every device should be using the. Same app id and password which are sent by BlackBerry when they sent the details for production use...
Retired

Yes, all of them would have to be registered to receive pushes using that application ID.

Developer

Even the password should be used by all the devices right...
Retired

You only use the password when you're sending out pushes for your application.

It uses basic authentication with a username (the application ID) and password.

Let me know if that didn't answer your question. Smiley Happy

Developer

With the sample application .. when i am registerting with push intiator it asking me the username and passowrd dialog... how this wok in the production environment

Retired

That username and password actually has nothing to do with your application ID and password.

When you confirgured the sample application, you must have left the "Subscribe with Push Service SDK" checkbox checked.

If you uncheck it and save the configuration, you would no longer need to enter a username and password when you go to register.

The "Subscribe with Push Service SDK" checkbox refers to a feature offered by our high-level APIs in the Push Service SDK.  It provides subscription servlets so that you can let your Push Initiator know which users you have that you can send pushes to.

There has to be a way for you to communicate to your Push Initiator the tokens (PINs) of the devices that have registered to receive pushes for your application.  This "Subscribe with Push Service SDK" features is one example of how to do that.

Matt

Developer

Hello mdandrea thank you very much for the detailed information..