Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: none

details on setting up push service for BB10 not using enterprise servers

Couple question on getting started with BB Push.

Creating a new initiator app - this app is to work for multiple customers / BB apps.  I have found a good bit about specifications for creating an initiator and the protocols to use in communicating to PPG servers.  However, I understand that PPG servers can be internal to BlackBerry (BIS) or enterprise server based (BES / BDS - not sure the difference between the two enterprise server based PPG's).   I understand in developing the initiator that it doesn't matter whether the PPG is on BIS or Enterprise - outside of where credentials come from and what url's to use when sending to a PPG.

However,  I need to develop a demo app to verify the Initiator is working.   This entails more varialbes since BlackBerry has two platforms BBOS and BB10.

I have chosen BB10 (hope that wasn't a mistake - but want to use most current platform)

In sending push notification to the BB10 it is my intent not to use enterprise servers in testing - at least not now. 

So, question 1?

Do i need to register the application for Push Service with RIM to register this demo/test application BB10 mobile app?  Seems that would be the case.   Not sure how that works - with BBOS i understood you would register for Push Service if you used BIS with the phone but not if you used Enterprise servers.   I understand with BB10 there is no BIS (or is that just no BIS email)  - but with BB10 you don't need enterprise server - correct?   So with BB10 not using an enterprise server but want to do push - i need to Register for Push Service I assume? 

Question 2?   What service do i need on the BB10 phone?   I understand there is no BIS service with BB10, but we are not planning to use enterprise servers. 

Question 3?  Do i even need phone provider (carrier) to run this application and test push notifications via our initiator - i know that wiht Anroid devices you do not.   Is it possible to get a BB10 phone iwth no carriet?

Would be nice if BlackBerry had some kind of matrix chart tying these different platforms and all PPG server possiblities together with requirements and how to setup.

So - i think the initiator to support what i want to do should be straight forward.  The phone app to test/demo is another story in that I am not sure what steps to take to get the credentials and urls - but it is a Given that I have choosen BB10 devices for this and that we are not intending to use enterprise serviers for this.    So would appreciate any adivce given that context.

Thanks for any insight.