Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Visitor
My Device: 2013 Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

APN Locked on Q10 Model

BlackBerry,

It is mind boggling that the information about APNs being locked "greyed-out" with some providers in Canada was not disclosed. $650 + HST is a high price to be told that all my new phone can do, post-unlocking, is make calls and send text messages (read paper-weight).

On top of that, a carrier's refusal to patch me through to tech support at BlackBerry and ask me to call on my own speaks volumes on your customer service philosophy, given that you have entered into agreements with said providers. 

After calling you (Blackberry tech support) and indicating that I will happily pay to resolve the issue if someone can tell me that there is an actual solution, just to be told that I need to pay up front with no guarantee... Just goes to reinforce that you are focused more on your sales than your users' happiness.

I spent close to 2.5 hours on the phone today being tossed around between your reps and your providers. 

You may have revamped your platform (about time) and continue to produce solid hardware, but I cannot help but wonder how many more BB users are in the same boat and how this is going to leave a foul taste in all our mouths.

Congratulations on managing to go a step forward and 10 steps back. I can't even begin to articulate how disappointed I am.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: APN Locked on Q10 Model

While you'll likely argue about it, the APN settings lock is enabled by the carrier. Some carriers lock it, some do not.

There are too many cases in this forum and others where the APN is editable once the SIM is removed or another carrier card is inserted.

Also, some have seen it unlocked on other carriers once 10.1 OS is installed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Z10

yterzian

I have to agree with you 100%. I'm going though the very same problem with my Z10. It won't work with my Petro Canada SIM card and I get the same grayed out field. It's not the carriers, as I can insert my Petro Canada SIM into a Samsung S3 and I get everything voice, text and data! Apple Iphone is fine as well.

There are a couple of links to using the Engineering screen, but WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS! It may not work and I may screw up the Z10.

http://m.crackberry.com/how-access-engineering-screen-blackberry-10

To me its a Blackberry OS issue. How can it not be if Sansung and Apple are working? No one should buy a Blackberry phone if they are intending on using a Prepaid SIM card.  Service was a BIG surprise to me. At least Apple gives you limited service but you can always go to the Apple store for free and ask questions. They will even "hold" your hand and show you if you aren't technical and that maybe be going too far, but it available. As for Blackberry, there isn't a "Blackberry store" to go to nor are the sales guys at local stores helpful. Ask a question about S3 or iPhone and the local sales reps have an answer or they just Google it. Don't brother asking Blackberry questions, they DON'T KNOW and it's not there fault. They sell more Samsung and Apple products than Blackberry. The knowledgebase for Blackberry is limited at this time. It will get better but it will take much more time.

Got two responses back from Blackberry so far. One wanted me to check with Petro Canada to see if I had data enabled. Of course I do, as I had mentioned that the SIM card works in the S3 and Apple iPhone.

The second email asked for my PIN so they can check with the Petro Canada. Not sure about giving them my PIN number... Isn't it the same as the first respone.

So what I need from Blackberry:

1. is an proven solution to the unlocked the APN. I don't want to screw up the phone.

2. Blackberry to do more testing of SIM cards. It's impossible for Blackberry to not have done this. There are very few carriers in Canada. Could Blackberry post a list of SIM cards and plans that they have tested in Canada?

3. offer telephone support for at least 3 months. More more forums, emails, social . If that's not possible, then put a warning label on every box that you get no telephone support. That would warn me.

4. local Blackberry configuration support. 30 days of free "hand holding" to get the phone working. Or if not free, then a gurantee that if it doesn't work, you don't pay.

Highlighted
Contributor

Based on my personal experience you are partly correct. The carriers do set the "flag" and yes it varies with each carrier. But its the Blackberry OS10 that decides what to do with this "flag". Other handset manufactures have realized that its not a good idea to lock the APN so they just ignore it. Samsung and Apple ignore it and they represent a HUGE part of the market. Especially if you are travelling and need to use prepaid SIM for lower cost data rates. Why does the Blackberry OS brother "reading" the flag or lock or switch? How does this help the user? Because to me it doesn't help at all. To me it's just another form or "locking" the phone from the carriers.

You can't edit and save the APN setting in the Z10 with the SIM card removed. However there is an thread that talks about a work around from Mario Posi on the Crackberry site. Its a bit more difficult, and I'm not sure that it works.

I have 10.1.0.273 the latest upgrade and I still have problems with my Petro Canada SIM card.

So can you tell me how to bypass this locked APN setting in the Z10? I don't really care about anything else. I bought the Z10 because I like the phone and the features. But I will return it if I can't get the APN issue resolved today.

T90
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Telia

Did anyone manage to change the APN? For me it isn't greyed out but whenever i press save it doesn't save the apn entered. i bought the phone without a contract and its running 10.1.0.238.

Could you please link the post of Mario Posi on Crackberry?

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have similar issue on my Q10 that I bought yesterday... icant save APN setting... I guess it's a bug that BlackBerry need to fix asap....
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

sunilnarwal wrote:
I have similar issue on my Q10 that I bought yesterday... icant save APN setting... I guess it's a bug that BlackBerry need to fix asap....

It is controlled by your SIM card inserted into the device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Is there way I can override it..?... I mean I put in another sim.. it allowed me to change..and save..but this SIM doesnt...
Contributor

There's no qucik solution for you. Its best that you return the phone and buy something else.

BB isn't going to help you. You may also want to consider changing your carrier and monlty plan. BB is such a PIA and will only change thiing when users stop buying the phone.

Good luck!

Contributor

A bug? Are you kidding? This is no bug. BB and the carriers do not want you to be able to change the APN.

Just buy another phone. My Samsung S3 works fine.

Change will only come when users vent and return their phone. Do it now!