Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: 02

Re: Auto on/off

John, that would seem to be a great app if it worked (though not as good or ecologically friendly as the auto on/off that has long been a standard BlackBerry feature).  I paid £2 for it (not $0.99) and set it up to turm my notifications off at bedtime and then on again in the morning automatically, but it does neither.  It also asks for an alarming number of permissions (access to files, calendar, email, messages -- with permission to change or delete).  I wouldn't be completely comfortable with it even if it worked, but it doesn't.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I've known the developer of that app for years. He's very trustworthy. If you read the description and features you can figure out why it needs access to all that. It uses keywords in calendar, changes wallpaper, it needs read/write access in order to save profiles to the SD card, etc.

I use it and it does indeed work

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

JBrett wrote:
I initially complained about the on/off because I suspect that I didn't like change. I have come to enjoy the bedside mode with the alarm option, especially with the dimmed clock on the phone.
Now if I could only find a place to get Blackberry car and home chargers that work!! Aftermarket ones don't last as long either

I use my old BlackBerry chargers with USB adapters. I also use the Playbook charger. The bob charger will charge the device pretty quick and I've been told by BlackBerry techs it is okay to use. I get them on Amazon. 

I also bought some BlackBerry premium car chargers on Amazon.  

As for bedside mode I love it. I never turn my phone off.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

But I don't want it to uses keywords in my calendar or change wallpaper. I just want it to turn my notifications on and off, and it doesn't do that. It is frustrating that there is no help in the app or developer website.
Guru II

Are you on OS 10.2.1?

Contributor

Yes.
Guru II

Open the app. Hit the timer icon. Create a new profile. Select the day(s) and times. One thing that caught me with the app was the location of the check boxes. Check the box to the RIGHT of the day you want.

Also, don't deny any permissions or the entire app may not work (that goes for any app). The developer of this has been around many years and is trustworthy. He has a lot of good utility apps. I have worked with him before.

I personally use this app and have used it on my Z30 and Z10 both.

Guru II

Also, make sure you enable the new profile when you're done. At the very top of the profile edit page is an enable button.

Highlighted
Contributor

Well, at first this Profile Changer app seemed a good way to get some of the benefit of the missing auto on/off feature, and the developer was quick in responding with tips that got it up and running, but not for long.  It turned my notifications on and off automatically for a few days, but then it stopped.  It is actually worse to think your settings are changing automatically when they're not than it was to begin with (having to remember to chnge them manually every day).  I've uninstalled this useless app and wish I could get my £2 back.

Even if there were a functioning app to change notifications automatically, it still wouldn't address the power usage and battery life issues.  Please, BlackBerry, fix this defect ASAP.  At least give us some indication you're aware of the problem and are working on a fix.  Otherwise, it really does look as if you've lost the plot and won't be in business much longer.

Guru II

I was told the QNX can't do auto on/off. The java devices actually just went into a standby, even when off. I really don't see this feature being the item that puts BlackBerry out of business.

The profiler app on my device works just fine. Not sure what's up with yours.

For me bedside mode works great for at night and I use the profiler changer app for Sundays.