Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
My Device: BB Passport
My Carrier: Vipnet

BB Q10. Conclusions of the first week experience

Hey there,

I have moved from OS7 device to BB Q10 a week ago and here are my first brief conclusions (mostly for those who are yet considering of the purchase)

good stuff:

- the device looks good itself and it is completely not slippery;

- I do like the new screen;

- the OS 10 interface is interesting to me;

- the camera is good;

- BB voice messaging is supported over your carrier's network;

- the browser works very fast (even though I use that rarely);

- the battery is enough for one busy day;

- there is a good Skype installed (however see also the notes below);

terrible stuff:

- BIS is no longer supported (well, someone might reckon this as an advantage; I say that there must always be a choice - either I use BIS or don't use it with my new device);

- my gmail & yahoo imap free accounts hang up regularly on wifi when I come from network carrier to a place where I am connected to wifi (the wifi is always on and I have enough places saved in my device memory); when I enter my account settings it says i.e.. "The server imap.gmail.com for account XXX is not responding. The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline. Check your settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again." I either restart device or switch off and on wifi so that it would resume for a while. With my carrier's network the email works fine.

- there is no Russian text input by translit (see http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Q10/Russian-language-input-translit/m-p/2442771#M3...); I had to engrave my keyboard with Russian letters for the first time for the last 6 years, luckily I was in Russia for a while; all those who use Russian language with their BB device for now can't normally use that as long as they are outside of Russia (where you could engrave it for a modest fee).

stuff to be improved:

- it is not that easy to copy saved numbers from your contacts (you shall open editing and then copy it out of there);

- it is not possible to paste the saved numbers in Skype (you shall thus develop your memory Smiley Happy );

- the birthday details from the contact list are not linked to a calendar (the question is then what is that data stored for?) - I have already skipped one birthday because of that;

- there is no percentage of remaining batter on the top screen (you can only find that through settings);

- whatsup is not integrated into the BB hub;

- there is no Viber application for OS 10;

- the choice of sounds to set up is extremely poor;

- the OS 10 with its applications hang couple of times a day (either buttons on the screen are not responding or the power button does not dim the screen or smth similar take place);

- when I read a message in hub it remains unread and it becomes marked as read only upon reviewing in particular mail folder.

My overall conclusion is that the device with the new OS 10 is completely raw and flawed. I feel myself like a volunteer tester whereas I do not like such a role when paying a full price for a product that is considered as good and is widely distributed on a market. Such a new marketing approach of Blackberry would do no good for their success in a future. 

I would seriously advice NOT TO TRUST even respectful brand and read open source info prior to a purchase

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BB Q10. Conclusions of the first week experience

KZ_bb: Your conclusion is right on target. I've never been MORE DISAPPOINTED WITH BLACKBERRY then now. Why would Blackberry put such phones out without remedying software issues first is beyond me.

I've been a BB user/supporter forever and this is the first time I've actually thought about throwing in the town and selling my BB10 on Craigslist and moving forward.

If I'm thinking this, just think of the MILLIONS of Blackberry User's like me who are considering doing the same. Thank god I unloaded my RIM stock before it fell 30% the other day.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Two points for AustiniterTX:
1- This is a brand new OS and there might be little glitches. There are constant OS upgrades to correct the glitches and add features requested by users. The longer you hang around, the happier you'll be.
2- Apple almost went bankrupt many years ago. Where does it sit now? You were silly to dump your BlackBerry stock.

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

BillJ:   Thanks for the note, it's well appreciated.  Sure, there are glitches out there in any software, however for us who have always utilized BB only to find that the initial BB10 software introduction would not sync contacts/calendar and now to find the upgraded BB 10 version continues to not offer this fix nor functionality is truly disruptive to all of us who utilize BB more as a critical business tool. 

BB really should had put off selling any new hardware until it had its BB10 software more carefully tested in the field.

Waiting another 6 months would had been worth it, versus having BB loyalist walk away and begin utilizing the competition.  I think BB will come back, but its going to be an even more struggle with all these software issues haunting the company. 

Walk into any T-Mobile Store and the rep's will tell you they sell Blackberry but don't recommend it to anyone.  Ask why, they say software issues and the large amount of BB10 returns.  That's why BB sales analyst/predictions are so dissapointing, and why again I sold my stock!  I sure hope BB proves me to be wrong by remedying such issues quickly, securing its brand/reputation and sticking-it to APPLE and the pathetic Android OS.

Contributor

AustiniterTX I am fully with you. The same feelings. The same stuff the Vodafone people say in their shop: "we do not recommend to buy new BB". If no things get soon to better BB will lose me and my family members BB addicted users. We shall switch to any first Android device with a real keyboard. So far I shall use for a while my old reliable OS 7 device.

New Contributor

Yeah the BB9900 worked excellent!  I still have faith in BB but my faith is wandering after all this waiting.

I'm sure BLACKBERRY is monitoring all this and reporting it to management whereby they're aware and putting the mandate to their software development team to remedy all these glitches before bad news travels too extensively.

I was amazed that the T-Mobile Rep's from 2 different nearby stores were telling me the same message (they didn't recommend BB10 due to customer complaints and software issues.  This along is enough to sink BB having all these rep's discouraging customers from buying BB phones. Where are the BB Dealer Rep's when you need them?

I told the rep's that regardless of the current BB10 issues, that all the other BB phones and software work flawlessly, and that the network was stable, dependable and secure.  One rep told me they just don't have any feed back or much interaction with BB dealer reps.  If I was a BB Dealer Rep. I'd be in each T-Mobile store twice a week giving them updates, testimonials and giving my phone number out to customers who come in and have additional questions, which the store rep's cant answer.  That's what these BB Rep's should be doing...being advocates for BB.

I don't think the BB Dealer Rep's are doing much, if any thing other than collecting a pay check.  These issues I  imagine will be resolved within 30-45 days.  If not, I'm sure they'll lose more than just stock prices falling. 

As a Crackberry addict my fingers are crossed for Blackberry and that it recovers from all this whereby it becomes the powerhouse it once was for so many years. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

KZ_bb wrote:
- whatsup is not integrated into the BB hub;

I guess you mean WhatsAPP. The latest OS versions / WhatsApp version integrate in the hub. Just upgrade to the latest 10.1 version. WhatsApp says:

• We support full hub integration on the second major release of 10.1. For all practical purposes, that means 10.1.0.16xx and above.
  • We also now have separate builds of our app for 10.0 and 10.1, so you may have to reinstall if you've upgraded a 10.0 phone to a supported 10.1 release and don't see us in the hub.
  • Finally, if for some reason after installing our app /w hub integration, notifications don't seem to be behaving correctly, just reboot your phone. If you ever encounter this issue, it should only be right after installation (or re-installation), and not under any other normal circumstances.
Contributor

Well, you are correct. I should have said "partially integrated". Hub does notify you of incoming messages and keeps track of your recent communication.

However there is no Whatsapp menu within a Hub list (like you have for BBM, Gmail, Yahoo! etc.). So you can't enter the application from the Hub to initiate a new chat.

The BB contacts are not linked to Whatsapp, so you can't also send a message to a contact from your list.

The BB search is not integrated with Whatsapp either.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone IT

Hey,

I couldn't agree more with you.

I've had Q10 after upgrading from Curve 9320. Well, guess what? my Q10 is on Ebay right now and I am on 9320 again.

Many absurd shortcomings make Q10 a NON professional phone, all the good reasons why I loved BBerry are lost on Q10.

Edit email is hard, copying them or fowarding them on a text, expensive because they are converted in a MMS or impossible at all as "forward as" doesn't not exist. Doing it manually copy and paste well...try it and after 5 minutes you may want to smash the phone on the wall.

Copying a number from a web page is so difficult that you'd better memorize the number (on 9320 is just a 2 sec operation)

Calendar and contact handling? Revolting. Grouping contacts by linking them without giving them a name? Calendar setting all touch, defintely not user friendly, not possible to set sound repetitions and the sound so terribly poor, that I missed almost all my committments. Not to mention that there are not application at all on BBworld unless under payment.

They guys at Bberry have two options: Failing totally on this device or work hard in the months to come to correct all these issues or really this is the last model from BBerry, in my opinion.

On top of that? Their support? well just empty like a desert. No help at all after paying for a device that is clearly failing all the expectations, unless you play with phone.

You're definitely right when you say that we should be at least compensated being kinda of Beta testers of just what I define a "cool brick" and indeed it is a beautiful phone with the best qwerty keyboard ever. But only that.

I should have gone for Bold 9900 which I didn't do because I thought that Q10 had to be better than 9900.

B I G    MISTAKE  

IF YOU LOVED BBERRY: Q10 IS NOT FOR YOU.