Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Cannot send emails on Q10 while traveling using wireless

Q10 PROBLEM I am on Rogers wireless using a telus email address. The incoming server setting is Telus and out going is Rogers wireless, While in Canada I have no problem receiving and sending emails. When I travel I do not buy the data packages I rely on wireless connections and with the Q10 I am not able to send using wireless when I travel. I have tried changing the outgoing server to telus in those situations but it still will not send, In the last month I have tried it in Jamaica and in Vegas with the same results...will not send emails I receive fine. Other people must be having problems? Rogers has been useless directing me to a solution, Help.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Cannot send emails on Q10 while traveling using wireless

HI and Welcome to the Community!

A couple of clarifications, if you don't mind please?

When you say "wireless", do you mean specifically WiFi? If so, then have you tested via WiFi only while still in Canada (e.g., turn off your Mobile Network radio and force your device to use WiFi only)? If so, what was the result please? And have you tried (still in Canada) using various WiFi networks?

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi

Thank you for your help....Yes I did mean Wi Fi when I mentioned wireless and yes I have tried shutting off and making the phone use Wi Fi here in Canada and the same result happens....won't send emails. I have only tried the Wi Fi at my house but it is functional as I have a wireles printer and also access net Flix through wi fi.apple box

Thanks again look forward to any direction you can offer

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

OK...thank you for the clarification.

Given that, I deduce that your issue actually has nothing whatsoever to do with your traveling. Rather, it has everything to do with your email service providers outgoing SMTP server not being reachable via WiFi networks.

Quite often, email services "hosted" by the carriers can only be accessed via limited means -- e.g., via BIS from a legacy device, via a device that is truly "inside" of that carriers network, etc. Other means of accessing those is often restricted by that service provider. From what you have provided here, that is what I would deduce...that your email service provider restricts your access to their services via WiFi.

If indeed this email address is one of those "hosted" (e.g., @bb, @carrier, etc.) accounts, then this KB will be of further interest to you:

• KB33260 BlackBerry (hosted) email address forwarding for BlackBerry 10 OS

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you very much I appreciate your feedback. Rogers is the company in Canada that I purchased the phone from and this is the first BB that I have had with them that makes me use their out going server address and talking to Rogers about the problem just makes your head spin around with no solution. I do like the phone but I cant have a device that won't send using wi fi. Would you have any idea if I had the phone "unlocked" would I be able to use the out going sever from my Telus email account (which is what my incoming server is currently) It makes me feel that Rogers is trying to force me to get a data package from them when I travel.

Hall of Famer III

I think that whoever you have spoken with at Rogers is (I will be gentle) not properly trained. There is no restriction to use their email services at all on a BB10 device. You can use nearly any internet-facing email service for both incoming (IMAP, POP, EAS, etc.) and outgoing (SMTP) email services. However, if this email account is one of those that is "hosted", then the KB I linked for you above still applies...for BB10 users, those email addresses can only be forwarded for 1 year, and then must be completely abandonded.

So, if you have a choice of email address and have no utility to this hosted one (if, again, it is indeed a hosted one...so far, you've not stated that clearly for me to understand), then I recommend abandoning it now in favor of something else (e.g., GMail, Yahoo, etc.). Do be careful in that, however...be certain that anywhere you have used that hosted address as registration information (e.g., BBID) is changed away from that email address over to whatever you shift to.

BB10 is quite robust in it's ability to work with email services, and does not even use the legacy BIS and "hosted" email methods that existed before...so I am quite surprised that whoever you have spoken with at Rogers has represented things in the manner that I interpret from your words here. Quite surprised indeed.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Thanks again...... I will take another run at Rogers and see what happens. I am not sure I guess when you say hosted but I will ask that whan I speak to Rogers. I have had the same email account at Telus for ever and all other BB devices I've had used the incoming and outgoing from Telus but this device will only work sending if I use the rogers outgoing server so I end up with a teuls incoming and a rogers outgoing

Hall of Famer III

GregandhisQ10 wrote:

Thanks again...... I will take another run at Rogers and see what happens. I am not sure I guess when you say hosted but I will ask that whan I speak to Rogers.

You will know by virtue of the email address format. If it is @BB, @Rogers, @Telus (@Carrier), or something else that seems to point to either BlackBerry or a specific carrier, then indeed it is a hosted email account.

GregandhisQ10 wrote:

I have had the same email account at Telus for ever and all other BB devices I've had used the incoming and outgoing from Telus but this device will only work sending if I use the rogers outgoing server so I end up with a teuls incoming and a rogers outgoing

I don't understand that at all then. If this is a hosted email account, I can see no way for it to ever function on any BB device other than a) a legacy BB device and b) a legacy device that is actually operating on the original carriers network. I have never heard of a hosted email account being directly usable (e.g., no forwarding involved) on any device for any other carrier. So perhaps this isn't hosted after all...but still, I have also never heard of any restriction to use the carriers outgoing SMTP server only.

I believe that perhaps I do not actually understand your exact situation.