Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK
Accepted Solution

Changing $ key on keyboard to another currency

Does anyone know how to change the $ key on the Q10 keyboard to show by default another currency symbol?

I did this without difficulty on the BB Bold 9900 but cannot see how to change this setting.

Any ideas, please?
PJCMoray
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Changing $ key on keyboard to another currency

Hey PJCMoray,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

Are you looking to change the currency in BlackBerry World or are you looking to change the physical key?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Trusted Contributor

I am looking simply to change the settings so that when I press the key that has the $ symbol (and the loudspeaker), it automatically produces the £ symbol, rather than the $. As I live in the UK, I have more requirement for £ than for the $.

On the BB Bold 9900 (and previous models), I was able to make this change by going to "Convenience Keys" in "Settings". I cannot find any such possibility under "Settings" on the Q10.

Please advise - thanks!
PJCMoray
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

When in email, press alt then  sym and it displays a virtual keyboard showing which of the keys to then press to get special characters such as £, euro, yen, &, \, {, } [, } and so on.

You don't press these on the screen they are simply showing you which key on the QWERTY keyboard to press immediately

It works, too, in the web browser (I was using Google) so I suspect it will work everywhere.

Geoff

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, but this is not the answer to my question! I am aware that by pressing "Alt" and then "Sym" I can see what key needs to be pressed after "Sym" to get what currency symbol.

But on all BB devices up to and including the OS7 devices and in particular the BB Bold 9900 (which I still use), you can into "Convenience Keys" under "Settings" and change the default $ symbol when pressing the $ to whatever currency you wish to make your default currency.

My question is, how do you make this change on the OS10 devices and in particular the Q10?

Thanks.
PJCMoray
Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: EE (UK)

I too have been searching in vain for a method to change the default currency symbol. It's so much easier having it there on the keybord without the need to use to the sym menu.

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: EE (UK)

Why has this been moved to 'solved'?

Trusted Contributor

Not by me - it has absolutely not been solved.

I received aan answer this morning which involved discovering a short cut to the symbols opened by using the symbol key. But this is definitely not the same as being able to chanhge one's default currency symbol for the $ key, as we could do on previous BB devices up to and including the OS7 devicesn inclusing the BB Bold 9900.

Answer please, Blackberry. Please don't tell me that this sort of "convenience key" has gone the same way as the two-way USB synch with Outlook. That would truly prove to me once and for all that Blackberry are now only interested in trying to capture the Apple crowd rather than clawing back their own loyal customers who have deserted over the years.

Woe is me!
PJCMoray
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

My posting was just a character at a time workaround that had annoyed me as a new Q10 user who wanted to type £.

On my Bold for 2+ years - although a $ key gave a $ - I used alt $ to switch to £ as I typed a character.  I had never realised that it could be permanently changed from $ to £.

I agree that it would be best to allow a user to permanently switch $ to their preferred currency symbol. They can then continue to get other currency symbols on a keystroke basis using the alt sym approach.

So I agree with others that my approach was not a solution to this issue. BlackBerry, speak up?

Geoff

New Contributor
My Carrier: os

So is there a solution as I have also just bought the Q10 and find it ridiculous that you can set the language to English UK and still not use the currency key to type a £ sign. Are we not a big enough market in the UK then now BB has gone all 'iPhone' . Shame I loved my bold and enjoy my 'tablet' and thought the new Q10 would give me best of both worlds.