Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

Deleting duplicate contacts

I've just got a Q10 and done the one-way sync of contacts. As many others have discovered, this produces loads of duplicates. I know I can tackle these duplicates manually either by linking them or by  deleting them in batches using the "select more" option. But I have a enormous number of contacts and this process will  take time. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible (1) to delete all the contacts on the Q10; (2) then open up BB Link and specify that I don't want to include eg all the archived items; and then (3) re-transfer all the Outlook contacts (with luck, with only a minimum of duplication) to the Q10? All or any thoughts welcome.  

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Deleting duplicate contacts

Hello Max,

Thank you for your question regarding duplicate contacts displaying on your BlackBerry Q10 smartphone Contacts application.

In instances where you see multiple copies of a contact listed in your address book there are two main options. The first you have already mentioned, which is linking the contacts as outlined in the following article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33253

The second option is to select a main address book which contains most of your contacts and use it as the primary list for your contacts, then configure it to be the only contact list that displays by swiping down from the top of your Contacts - Select Settings - Set other contact lists to off.

We hope this helps.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: o2

Thanks FozzieBear, that's very helpful.

While I've got you, can I ask you something else? Is there a "select all" command on the Q10? What I mean is that if eg I want to delete all the emails before a certain date - or all the call logs - it seems that I have to either delete each one manually or use the rather laborious "select more" option. Is there any way I can simply highlight all the messages/logs I want to delete (I could do this on the Torch using the central mini-trackpad) and then just delete them all in one go?

Thanks a lot

Max

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

The whole migrate from one device to another where you can't select the contacts to migrate is pretty silly.  Or without the manual ability to delete the local contacts is plain rediculous.  Android adn IPhones can do it why can't Blackberries?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

what if i have 5k duplicate contacts, how i will link all of them? if i do it manually, it will take me days to find and link them.

My Carrier: AT&T

Have same problem. Am so frustrated that I am getting an iPhone.
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bitė

Why can't i just delete ALL contacts at once!?
Ask me twice if am sure, or three times am i really really sure but let me delete all contacts! 
Every time i sync with pc i get more and more duplicates! How do you come up with ideas how to do the easy things so complicated?

Please release user friendly interface update

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: airtel

Its just pathetic software. Cant delete duplicate contacts. Everytime you change a phone, the contacts list increases and many contacts appear in different email accounts synch options. There is no help or solution to deleting duplicate contacts list.

Will Blackberry ever find a solution to this problem?? All my BB friends have the same problem.

Why cant this bug be fixed by BB RIM.  Please dont toture us, Blackberry. Your fans are very less and we few who still are die hard fand of Blackberry, please dont take us for granted.

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: airtel

Why Cant Blackberry find a easy solution to fix this bug?? Everytime you change a phone, your contact list increases by few thousands. Sometime synching with many email IDs. One cant modify,trasfer the contacts to another email ID synch.

This should be a simple solution, just that BB has not taken pain to fix this. There are few fans left for Blackberry. we are few die-hard fans left  !!! please dont take us for granted.

New Contributor
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

@manojnayak1969

@blackberry

Totally agree!

This bug is really frustrating. Almost 10 years with RIM, but my next phone is not going to be a BlackBerry!