Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Virgin mobile

Did system update--lost all texts and BBM texts

The latest update went smoothly enough, but when my Q10 woke up again, and I reconnected to my email accounts, my whole history of texts and BBM messages were gone! Did this happen to others?

Can anything be done?? Thanks for any help.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Did system update--lost all texts and BBM texts

Hey fastartcee,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

We are aware of SMS messages being cleared out after the update, we are investigating the issue.  This KB article was created: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB34819

Do you have a backup of your SMS messages created on your computer?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a backup; I had no vital texts or BBMs (but i know I should have backed up before updating).

It also seems that previous day's texts are being discarded automatically since update.

I'll now follow this issue through the KB.
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have the same issue and I do have backups but when restore using the back ups same thing all text messages are not there. I even restored device to factory settings but this restoed it to the latest software version which in the UK is 10.1.0.4181. Unlike bb 7 restore options where one could roll back any software updates to previous software version bb 10 does not allow you to do so. Please help me with a solution as I am not able to use my q10 because of this as I need to have a upto date record of all of my text messages

Regular Contributor

This is a serious BB10 bug; the fix is going to have to come from BlackBerry. I don't know how to revert to an older version of the OS.
New Contributor

Five days later still waiting for response ....this link http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB34819&sliceId=2&cm... 

says to do a restore prior to update to restore data I have done this using any many backups and still no texts and am still awaiting a response as to what to do and other than forums there is no way to contact bb directly ..... tried through my service provider vodafone in the UK but they are clueless and keep saying do  restore which fails as no texts, now beyond frustrated now and just don't know what else to do

Regular Contributor

I can only sympathize with you, because I don't know how to help. If Blackberry doesn't ever LEARN to monitor the relevant forums, and provide ANSWERS to BB owners, then they are going to vanish as a hardware/service provider. I have tried to support the company, and, generally, I love my Q10.
Visitor
My Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Same here, all text messages are gone (about 5 years) and all gmail accounts needed reauthentication.

I did a restore, from a backup a month ago. Still all text messages gone and again all gmail accounts lost their passwords again. This is a nightmare. The whole backup thing, was so much better before when you could decide what you wanted to restore instead of fullbackup only. It seems Blackberry only took the non working things from their competitors to copy them. Right now I am considering to go back to the bold or drop Blackberry fully since it seems they only make steps backwards.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I was able to help some other users restore a previous backup to regain their lost SMS history.

I don't know why yours did not restore. Restoring the backup will always result in a need to update passwords as that is simply a security measure and to reinitiate your link to that account. Nothing uncommon there.

I wish I could help you with the lost SMS, but it sounds like you have done exactly what I would have advised you.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I hope that BB take note that their loyal customers are losing patience. Being exchange, I rarely back up so lost all texts & BBM's after update with no way of restoring, but even if I had it seems I might not have been able to retrieve. A totally unacceptable consequence of an upgrade.