Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Gmail connection problem

Hi;

I have wi-fi at home, wi-fi at my office, and good cell coverage in between.   When I switch from one location to another, my Q10 finds the network no problem, but won't always connect my g-mail account.  This means I can neither send nor receive e-mails without turning the phone on and off again.  I contacted Bell, and they told me that everytime I switch from wi-fi to the bell network and back again I have to turn the wi-fi on and off, and that this is the norm for all smart phones.  It's not what the Q10 user manual says, and I never had this problem with my Bold, nor does my wife have the problem with her I-phones.  Any suggestions?

Retired
My Device: Z10 9800 9900

Re: Gmail connection problem

Hey bachus,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question. In order to better investigate this issue, can you please provide some more details about your issue?

1. Does this happen randomly or every time you switch between a WiFi network and the wireless network?

2. Do other internet based applications stop functioning as well? (ex: browser, FaceBook)

3. If you navigate to "System Settings->Accounts" and select your GMail account, does it have any error messages or required actions when this happens?

There should be a seamless switch between networks and does not require for you to switch WiFi on and off to have the account function again.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers,

-WW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hi WW

Thanks for your reply.  In answer to your questions:

1) It is completely random.  Sometimes the transition is seamless, sometimes I get the problem.  There is no identifiable pattern

2) Other functions continue to work fine.  It's just the e-mail that won't connect

3) In the settings tab under accounts, it will show that my e-mail is not connected (calendar and contacts are fine).  The error message associated with the problem says, "the server at imap.gmail.com is not responding" and to check settings.  I'm assuming my settings are correct as it works some of the time, and because the problem resolves itself after I restart the phone.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bachus

Retired
My Device: Z10 9800 9900

Hey bachus,

Thanks for the information. I suggest deleting the email account from your BlackBerry Q10 and then re adding the account back. Please see steps below:

-Navigate to System Settings->Accounts->Select the GMail account ->Delete

-Complete these steps for Calendar and Contacts as well

-Select to "Add Account->Email/Calendar/Contacts->Email Address->Next->Password->Next->Sync All->Save

-Monitor Account for a few days to see if issue re occurs

Let us know how you make out with this,

Cheers,

-WW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Q10

I'm having this problem too, also on the Q10 and also intermittently with no discernible pattern. I only set up a Gmail account because I wanted to find a way to synchronise my calendar and contacts between my BlackBerry (my old Bold at the time) and my iPad and doing that via Gmail seemed a good way to go. It worked fine on the Bold but is being very temperamental on the Q10. When I lose connectivity it is only the Gmail account that has a problem. My main BT email account works fine as does my Hotmail account. When the problem first started happening I would be asked for a password and re-entering that fixed things. Now, however, the error message tells me that I am not connected to a network (when I clearly am connected to either a 3G network, a wi-fi network or both) and does not give me any way to force it to try again. It is the latest issue on a growing list of frustrations with the Q10!
New Contributor

Hi;

I feel your pain, but I fixed my problem.  I got a notification (about 2 weeks ago) for an OS update for the Q10.  Since I did the download and installed that, everything works great.

Check it out, and then reply back.

Good luck!

Dean

Contributor

I did the update recently too. If anything, my problems have got worse since then!
New Contributor

One other thing;  after I did the update I did a battery pull and a complete cold re-start.  I think you have to do that to make it work.

If that doesn't work, then I'm as confused as you.  This Q10 just isn't as good as the Bold in so many ways.

Contributor

Trying the battery pull solution now. My last normal reboot left my Calendar frozen! There are lots of things that are good about this phone but far too many backward steps too. A massive disappointment for me!
New Contributor

If you follow the thread above, you can see where one of the tech people told me to delete the e-mail account, complete with calender and contacts, and then re-install it.  Well as luck would have it, I deleted the account and did the re-install, and then immediately got the OS update notification.  So I really don't know which of the two solved the problem, or if it was a combination of the two things.  And the batter pull.

I have a Playbook too, and it was a real dog until I did a wipe (I think that's what it's called.  Basically returns to factory defaults).  After that, it was great.  I think the real problem was that program that the phone came with that transferred your Bold settings to the Q10.  I have a feeling that program didn't do everything it was supposed to.

Interested to know if the battery pull works for you.