Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Help! Blackberry Q10 does not recognize contacts

Blackberry Q10 does not recognize contacts that contain phone numbers saved as +(country code) + ph number or 0 (country code) + number.

Consequently, when there is an incoming call from these contracts, the phone displays only the phone number! Major inconvenient!

Also, whatsapp application does not recognize these contacts as favorites.

Please help!

Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Help! Blackberry Q10 does not recognize contacts

From the USA/Canada:
For calls to most countries dial the following: 011 + country code + phone number

For calls to countries within the North American Numbering Plan dial: 1 + area code + 7 digit local number, same as dialing a US state to state call (note that you will incur international charges)
From any country to any country:
dial: your country's exit code + destination country code + phone number

http://www.howtocallabroad.com/
New Contributor

Actually, I live in Romania. All my contacts have been saved either like +4 phone number or 004 phone number. I have transfered all my agenda from my old BlackBerry Bold and the number format was kept (as it has in the past transfers) but when I receive a call from one of my contacts the phone does not display it's name but just the phone no.
For example, i have a contact saved with the following number (fictional) +40722333222. When the person calls me from inside the country, the number that appears on the screen is just 0722333222 and not the contact name. Even if I would take the time to change all numbers to just the simple format, I will have a problem when traveling abroad as, when in roaming, I have to dial the number after the country code.
Please help!
New Contributor
My Device: 9700 bold
My Carrier: safaricom - kenya

Same problem in Kenya, can the BlackBerry Q10 software developers work on this bug asap as this is the most important aspect of the phone
New Contributor

In the meantime, I've found the answer to my question, or rather a solution. Apparently, you have to switch on Smart Dialing in the Settings of the phone.
I really don't understand why Blackberry does not set these options "on" by default and then, if you don't need/want them, you can just switch them off by yourself.

In any case, I cannot not notice the lack of responsiveness to these common issues of blackberry's representatives. The answer provided above seems at least out of context if not straight pittifull.
Super Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic
My Carrier: Bite

This is one problem, other is that once you receive an email from you contact with that conacts email in your address book is does associate with that contact and ask to add that emaill addres to your contacts eventhough it is already there. Bug bug bug
New Contributor

Now that I've switched on smart dialing the phone does not recognize phone numbers saved without the country code in the begining. Incredible. Blackberry you have got to fix this bug. It is more than annoying and disturbing for a 2013 phone.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: starhub

Hi guys.. i'm having the same issue too.. aft the 2nd day I started having problem with the contact names. Since yesterday after I re format the phone, it got worst as whatsapp would not detect my contact list. Help help help!!
mkg
New Contributor
My Device: Q 10
My Carrier: MNT

I have the same problem in Nigeria.
How do I fix this **bleep** problem?
mkg
New Contributor
My Device: Q 10
My Carrier: MNT

Please how did you switch the smart dialing feature?