08-08-2013 09:05 PM
Blackberry doesn't seem to be giving this issue any priority. The problem was documented in BB's Knowledge Base on June 04, 2013 but they state that "There is no resolution timeframe"!! KB33834 is the problem id.
A "Workaround" is provided as follows:
Minimize the number of devices that are attempting to connect to (or poll) the POP account at any given time.
Alternatively, contact the mail Administrator and request concurrent connections be enabled so that more than one device can be connected at one time
10-24-2013 01:25 AM
10-24-2013 03:06 AM
10-24-2013 10:44 AM
02-23-2014 06:31 PM
I have three email accounts ... two business accounts and a personal account ... each have different ports and SSL inputs .... but i just replicated what is shown for each in my laptop Outlook account settings.
I have no idea why these work ... or why they are different
110/26 None (SSL)
110/587 None (SSL)
the first two have never 'dropped' or lost account info but the last has dropped. When i went into the Q10 accounts screen I found the server address had .rim inserted into the string. Fixed that by deleting 'rim' and now works. For now.