Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: q10
My Carrier: vodafone uk

Message storage limitation Q10

Hello Everyone,

My Q10 will be replaced by an Android in the next couple of days unless I can fix the message storage problem.

All my messages get deleted after 2 months - it's just not long enough for me. I run my own business and I need at least 6 months of messages on the device otherwise I have to keep opening my laptop which is pointless.

I don't have an enterprise server, and I think the 'forever' function is only possible with this.

Is there an app, or a fix or a workaround that I can use??? I'm at the end of my temper with this phone now. The last straw was having to leave a party on Sunday afternoon to go back to the office to reply to an email from June...which wasn't in my Q10.

Many thanks for any help.

Ogs

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Message storage limitation Q10

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

onglideslope wrote:
I don't have an enterprise server, and I think the 'forever' function is only possible with this.

Incorrect...with the later OS versions, the "forever" function is available. Sometimes (IMAP, as I recall), it is only available at the time of initial email account configuration. But "forever" is definitely available with later OS levels. I do not recall exactly what OS level it became available on (at least since 10.1.0.2025), but you can find the update process here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi - many thanks for the advice.

The 'forever' function was indeed there when I deleted an email account and reset it.

I noticed that when the account rebuilt, I had emails going back to 10th July (probably as far back as the server was holding emails), and I thought that I would wait a day to see what happened......

Unfortunately when I checked this morning, the last email in that account is now 16th July.

This is really not acceptable for a business tool. It means that if I were to keep this phone, I will need to always carry my computer in case I receive a query that relates to a message that I received more than 2 months ago.

Is this really the end of the story - Blackberry are completely mad if this is the best that we can expect.

Can anyone help me?? This isn't a bad phone, I like a lot of the features, but primarily it is supposed to be a business tool - it cannot possibly be that with such limited message storage.

Many thanks in advance - andriod minus 1 day and counting.

Ogs

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

What you describe (well, beyond the "rants") is WAD -- Working As Designed -- for IMAP. I've no idea what your email service provider is, so all I can do is deduce from the information you've provided that it is IMAP, and you are hence limited to how it currently functions. If you upgrade to an email provider that has ActiveSync, then you can truly have "forever" retention on your device.

"Forever" was only recently added...prior to that, it was 30 days. Will "Forever" be enhanced in future OS levels to enable it to function the way you desire via IMAP? No one here, in this user-to-user community, can say the answer to that "forward looking" question.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Many thanks - at least that's a possible solution.

Ranting is not normally in my nature, but I miss my 9900 very much - it did everything it should do and I naively though that the newer versoion would be the same and more. If the trackpad hadn't died on the 9900 I'd be stress free now!

All the best

Ogs

Hall of Famer III

BB10 is not an evolution from legacy. From all we can tell, it was designed totally from scratch, and appears to not have taken into account what may have previously existed. Note please that I've no way to know "why" they took that decision...only that, from all outward appearances, that is what I surmise happened. Further, even knowing "why" would not serve any purpose...it is what it is. Hence, in order to avoid disappointments, it is best to not expect it to be like legacy...rather, to expect it to be a totally new platform, and then be pleasantly surprised when one comes across something from "before" that exists within BB10.

Hall of Famer III

Since I have two BB10 devices, I took another look.

With my Z10, I am on 10.1.0.2025, with ActiveSync for my Gmail accounts (grandfathered in...I don't think AS is available from GMail anymore), and I truly have "forever" in my Inbox (both as an available selection in the Account Config as well as the actual email items reflected there). And, from what you report (along with other posts here), an IMAP integrated account can be set to "Forever" at initial configuration, but that then seems to turn into a "rolling window" of duration rather than maintaining it's "forever" nature.

But, on my Q10, I'm on (leaked) OS 10.2.0.1323, and my GMail is integrated as IMAP. When I integrated the account, I recall choosing also "Forever" as my setting, and I have (as with prior OS levels) no ability to change that now. But, my full and entire Inbox remains reflected on my Q10, going all the way back to the first item I have on the server (October of 2011).

So, what this tells me is that, at least for the moment, indicators are very good that future OS releases will indeed provide the "forever" functionality that you desire.

New Contributor

Dear Sdgardne,

Many thanks for your help a few weeks back.

I kept checking for an update, but no luck.

Last weekend I had once again to go back to the office to open an email from a 3 months earlier as it was no longer on my Q10.

On Monday, I bought a Samsung Galaxy phone. I hate to admit it, but it's great.

What a shame that after 12-14 years with Blackberry, a device for business and work, that it's original purpose and philosophy was forgotten.

Thanks once again, I hope that you and others like you can force a change in the way Blackberry deal with the 'small guys' like myself.

If ever this function is fixed, I will try the phone again as I love the keyboard.

Best wishes,

Ogs