Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums on April 1st. BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: New emails show up on my Q10 as "READ" ????????

The other thing that happens with Outlook is if the cursor is on the email for a certain amount of time then Outlook marks it as read. You won't notice until another email comes in and the mail gets moved down the list with the newest mail having the cursor on it.

If your emails show as read on the server (not an anomaly, but expected behavior when Outlook marks them read) then the BB10 device will reflect that on the device. That is how it is designed to work. The ONLY way those emails can be shown as read on the server is if Outlook, or another client, is marking them read. With an IMAP setup on the BB10 device and Outlook both clients will be up to date all the time. An email read on the BB will be marked as read in Outlook and vice versa. You just needed to make sure Outlook wasn't marking them read when you weren't actually reading them in Outlook yourself.

With your old BB it was never an issue because BIS was an entirely different system. You can't even compare them.

I think you would have been better served to figure out why Outlook is marking them as read rather than use POP on your BB10 device. POP was designed early on when people didn't read mail from multiple devices or computers. The nice thing about IMAP is that if you intentionally read on one device/computer than that is sync'd to the other devices. It's no fun to read on one device only to have to read on all your other devices too.

If you're happy with POP then it's fine but over time you may see that the limitations aren't worth it compared with the features with IMAP clients.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Here's a good explanation of the two protocols.

http://mail2web.com/blog/2010/02/pop-imap-difference/

Again, I realize this wasn't an issue on the Bold because the old BIS email system that your old BB used didn't really syncronize except on a few certain providers that BB worked with directly to enable more features through their system. BIS treated every mail, whether it was read or unread, as a new mail until you read it on the BB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: SPRINT

John_Clark wrote:
Here's a good explanation of the two protocols.

http://mail2web.com/blog/2010/02/pop-imap-difference/

Again, I realize this wasn't an issue on the Bold because the old BIS email system that your old BB used didn't really syncronize except on a few certain providers that BB worked with directly to enable more features through their system. BIS treated every mail, whether it was read or unread, as a new mail until you read it on the BB.

I understand the differeance / affect of POP vs IMAP for this situation, as I've used it that way for the last 10 years.

I also agree that this is likley releated to Outlook.  That being said, despite your Outlook expertise and conviction that Outlook is the cause, neither you, BB or Hostgator has a clue as to WHY it is happening or HOW to resolve it.... So although I can relate to not wanting to use the current POP configuration as that is somehow covering up the problem, going to IMAP WITHOUT a means to fix the unknown problem is NOT a soution either.....

Guru II

Because while I'm arguably a BlackBerry Expert and a definite Outlook user I'm not an Outlook Expert. I correctly advised that Outlook was the cause. I'd recommend a Microsoft forum for expert help on Outlook.

That said, I recommend turning off the Mark items read when viewed in the Reading Pane and turning off Mark item as read when selection changes. That is how I have mine setup. I have to actually physically right click mail and mark it as read in Outlook. If neither of those things work then you need to hit up a forum where there are better experts on Outlook.

The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the BlackBerry, the IMAP setup, or your mail server. There are so many small little settings spread out in various menus in Outlook it is VERY easy to miss something. I have to Google for Outlook settings all the time because I can never remember where anything is.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: SPRINT

[ Edited ]

John_Clark wrote:
Because while I'm arguably a BlackBerry Expert and a definite Outlook user I'm not an Outlook Expert. I correctly advised that Outlook was the cause. I'd recommend a Microsoft forum for expert help on Outlook.

That said, I recommend turning off the Mark items read when viewed in the Reading Pane and turning off Mark item as read when selection changes. That is how I have mine setup. I have to actually physically right click mail and mark it as read in Outlook. If neither of those things work then you need to hit up a forum where there are better experts on Outlook.

The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the BlackBerry, the IMAP setup, or your mail server. There are so many small little settings spread out in various menus in Outlook it is VERY easy to miss something. I have to Google for Outlook settings all the time because I can never remember where anything is.
I may have to try the MS forum.  As I said earlier, I use NO reading panes and the only way my email changes to "read" is if I actually READ it.