Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Bell

Q10/Blackberry Link issues

Hello,

I'm quite positive others have had these issues but I haven't seen a thread yet.  One of the clients has a Q10 and I installed Blackberry Link to transfer everything from her old blackberry to the new one.  Unfortunately I've run into two (2) problems since then.

1) The calendar isn't syncing properly so if a meeting gets cancelled in her Outlook calendar it doesn't leave her blackberry calendar.  Considering her position she doesn't have time to go to a boardroom for a meeting that is no longer happening and have to shift her schedule around.  She is not impressed but considering she is so busy I'm hard pressed to get my hands on both the device and her computer; which leads me to the second problem…

2) As stated above I installed Blackberry Link on her computer and everything seemed to be working properly until I tried to use the software a second time.  Now when I plug the blackberry in, the software searchs for the device (the taskbar has a pop-up stating which device is plugged in specifically so the computer recognizes the Q10) but never finds it.  I can't run a backup, sync the calendar/contacts, or use the software with the device at all.  The suggested solution is to do a factory reset.  I am forced to assume a factory reset would wipe her settings/accounts and there is no way she'll be okay with giving up her phone for me to re-do everything every time.  Is there something I’m missing?  I have had issues with this software and a Z10 not too long ago and did the factory reset but the phone was new.  The reset didn’t resolve the issue.

Cliff notes:

1) how do you properly sync MS exchange calendars?

2) Is BB Link broken still or can you connect devices to your computer and have the software recognize the device properly?

Thanks,

Nathan

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, Z30

Re: Q10/Blackberry Link issues

I have a 365 account which I believe is treated the same as Microsoft Exchange. You don't use BlackBerry Link to sync. When you set them up, just choose to sync everything. Swipe down from top > Settings > Accounts. Choose the Exchange account. Scroll down and turn on to sync whatever you want to sync (contacts, calendar, tasts, memos).

Twitter: @sheldonbk
Trusted Contributor

BlackBerry Link sync to Outlook seems to me like it's not really ready for prime time use. It can sync initially and it can sync contacts/calendar etc as long as there's no conflicts. If there's a conflict, you can't choose what to do individually. You can only choose what to do globally (IE, do nothing, or use whichever source). 

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps this BlackBerry article will help in terms of the BlackBerry Link connection...

http://blackberry.com/btsc/kb33535

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

If you have got Exchange, I would definitely not use Link to sync mail/calendar/contacts. You should use ActiveSync which wirelessly syncs your data.

Also if your user is very important (senior management), you should first test these things with a test account on a test device. Your VIP users should not be your testers!

New Contributor

Hi Sheldonbk,

Thank you for the link but I was using a USB cable to directly connect the blackberry to the computer and Windows 7 recognized the device (showed it was a Q10 and the pin in the taskbar pop-up) however the Link software never resolved a connection. I tried waiting (10+ minutes), changing USB ports, restarting the computer, restarting the blackberry, and probably other things that I can't recall off-hand.
New Contributor

Hi Freakinvibe.

While I thoroughly agree about management not being testers I was never given a "test" phone. (We don't get every new device that comes out to test it as that is an extremely frivolous.) The majority of our users went with iPhones and only a few wanted to stay with blackberry but since I had a whopping 30 minutes of hands-on experience with the Q10 before deploying it I was unaware that using the Blackberry provided software would be a bad thing. Since the OS 10 is not similar to the old versions my previous experience was mainly useless.

In order to transfer the data from the users old phone to the new one (other than manual file transfer using Windows vs blackberry software) I installed Blackberry Link and used the built in feature of transferring the data from her old phone to the new one. I had already used active sync to setup her email/calendar/contacts/etc. before running the software but that syncs as well. We've had issues with blackberry calendar's not removing deleted events and issues with delegates, etc. in the past but I was hoping for some input as to how to directly fix this issue. Am I forced to wipe her phone (after manually backing up the files) and re-sync everything solely through active sync? Is there a way on the phone itself to force a re-sync? (I couldn't find it in the 5 minutes I had to attempt to blindly fix it.)

PS: The fact that blackberry "support" consists of Twitter or a message board is blowing my mind. Such a big company and they don't even have a phone number to call? Really? I can't even quote the person I'm trying to reply to Smiley Indifferent Highly disappointing.
Contributor
My Carrier: Celcom

Don't dig further mneighthyn

We all had the same problem with Q10

Being a BB Bold user switched to Q10 myself, there is a lot of problem with new device & OS; My 1st experience is to sync 2 way between Outlook & Q10 in order to get my old contacts in!

What I did is to adopt MS Outlook Connector, I spend hours to carefully test it as my contacts are very important, and only after 3 days I decided to switch to Outlook

BB should have fixed this problem the very first thing before releasing the device or OS - This kind of thing is pretty basic! There there are many thousands of users having the same frustration over the same thing!
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Albertlai.

I don't suppose anyone from RIM has stated they are in the works of creating a new patch to resolve these rudimentary issues?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

You can remove and re-add the Exchange ActiveSync Account to the Blackberry. That will sync everything. Make sure to remove local contacts and local calendar entries.