Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Q10 Frequently Shuts Down

I have noticed that a few of our Q10s have an issue where they will reboot for no apparent reason, regardless of the amount of charge left in the battery.

The one device I am working with right now is at 10.1.0.4181 and I plan to run the update.  I would like to avoid backing up and restoring this device as I dont have a lot of faith in that process right now.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

thanks

Laura

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Q10 Frequently Shuts Down

Yes, I've seen a handfull of others here with that issue...

It could be a rogue app installed.

It could be slightly loose battery. Place a folded sheet of paper (or a single business card) over the battery and replace the battery door for a few days... and observe if the reboots persist. If not, it's a loose battery. If they do, it's either software and an OS upgrade could resolve it, or hardware in which case a warranty return would be in order.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Thank you.

I updated the software and did the business card trick so hopefully that is resolved. This device didn't have any additional apps on it.

I will likely see more Q10s with this in the future. We have several in our environment.

Cool, let me know if you see it clear up... just curious your experience.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: WInd mobile

[ Edited ]

This is a real problem.  It has only happened once or twice in the last six weeks, but it can really mess up your whole day.  That should be clear: if the phone turns itself off, it can be sitting right in front of you, black and silent, and you still think its on.  

Lets see: a quick search brings up this from Crackberry: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q10-f272/q10-randomly-turned-off-809371/ 

People are saying that a system update might fix it.  I guess that means, a bunch of apps have updated, but the os is still a waiting for the official push, and so the apps advance ahead of the OS, causing spontaneous shut-downs.

Note, that this is not the *clunk* problem, and also that my Q10 does not reboot.  It just goes dark and stays dark, untill I check it, find it off, and turn it back on.  

New Contributor
My Carrier: Vivo

This happens to me, too, and inserting a paper strip didn't help. At first this happened a few times a day, and the phone could spend days without shutting off. A few weeks later, it won't even turn on anymore.

I tried switching to a brand new battery, but it made no difference whatsoever.

I think is has something to do with the phone's circuits that connect to the battery, because sometimes the phone changes the power display from, say, 80% to 0, then back to 80%.

I searched through the Crackberry forums and found no anwer other than "ditch the phone for a new one".

ehh, sorry, it's helped others. 

Sorry.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Carrier: WInd mobile

mctanaka:

Are you sure you have the right fix for the your problem?

The idea of the paper strips is that they stop the battery leads from jolting away from the phone's contacts, the metal tabs visible in the side of the battery cavity.  The paper is just a shim, a jam.  The fix works if "battery movement" is your problem, and its relatively simple to apply.

It sounds like you have a different problem.  If the battery loses contact, is disconnected, the phone will immediately shut down completely.  Also, this only happens with the stimulus of a 'bump': ususally just the action of putting the down  on a hard surface.

belle_curve wrote:...
...If the battery loses contact, is disconnected, the phone will immediately shut down completely.  Also, this only happens with the stimulus of a 'bump': ususally just the action of putting the down  on a hard surface.

Not always. Sometime the quick disconnect from the battery contacts will simply reboot the device as the battery connection is good immediately.

Knowledge Base Updates