Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Bell

Q10 Notifications do not correctly follow timezone

Hi, I'm on model SQN100-3 version 10.1.0.273 on Exchange infrastructure with no BES.  When I travel between timezones, the notifications get all messed up.  For example, if I create a calendar entry for 1pm EDT while in EDT it creates it in the calendar fine.  If I stay in EDT, the notifications happens appropriately.  If I travel to MDT after creating the calendar entry but before the notification time, when I get to the new timezone, the Q10 adjust to the new timezone and all calendar entries reflect the appropriate times (as they should).  Unfortunately my notification comes two hours late.  It seems the notification system is not correctly managing the timezone changes.  The opposite is true.  If I create a calendar entry while in MDT and then travel to EDT, the calendar adjusts, but the notification comes 2 hours early.

I travel every week and notifications are consistently wrong.  This week I will try manually setting the timezone instead of using the automatic timezone setting to see if the symptoms persist.  I expect they will.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Q10 Notifications do not correctly follow timezone

Hi adventureboy,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with your Calendar notifications.

If you create the appointment using your local device Calendar (as apposed to your Exchange one) does the same notification issue occur? 

When you are creating the Calendar appointment, are you manually changing the Time Zone to reflect the time or using the device Time Zone to create the appointment?

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Hi HMthePirate,

Normally I create calendar entries on my desktop using Outlook and explicitly select the timezone when it is not in my home time zone but I do not know if it has the same issue if created on the phone.

Last week I had the phone switch automatically to the new time zone.  This week I manually switched it.  I'll post the results later today.

The bizzar symptom is the calendar entries show correctly however the notifications are out.  For example, the phone is in MDT and I created an entry in EDT at 10am, it correctly shows at 8am MDT on the phone however the notification happens at 9:45am MDT, 2 hours after it should have.

Retired

Try creating one using the local calendar to see if the notification will act as expected when in the other time zone.

Since you are using ActiveSync, if you created the appointment on your device to your work calendar, does it notify properly in Outlook when it syncs up?

-HMthePirate

Contributor

Hi HMthePirate,

I have not seen any errors in Outlook for notifications.  I do not believe there is anything wrong with Outlook or the way the calendar entries are synchronized between Exchange and the Q10.  The notifications are the only bug.  It seems the Notifications are generated without regard to the timezone on the Q10 only.  Calendar entries are correct in both Outlook and Q10.

I have confirmed the bug still exists when manually setting the time zone on the Q10.  There is a bug in the notification system on the Q10.

Retired

Due to the complexity of this issue, it is recommended you contact your mobile network provider and ask to speak to BlackBerry technical support.

We would like to review device logs on this issue to further investigate.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Contributor

Hi HMthePirate,

How do I get the device logs to you?  This is extremely annoying.  I need the notifications to function at the correct time.  Just now I got a notification for a meeting at 9:30MDT but I'm in EDT so it came at EDT 2 hours early.  The calendar entry is correct but I set up the meeting while I was in MDT.  The PHONE is not calculating notifications based on the timezone of the meeting.  It is setting it based on the time only in timezone I'm in and does not consider the timezone information in the calendar entry.  Not cool.

My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I am having this same behavior on my Q10.  Did anyone ever solve this problem?

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: EE UK

Come on hmthePirate, get a grip. BB tech support do not live in the real world.

Adventureboy has described clearly and precisely what is an obvious bug, and you ask him for his network logs - it defies belief!

It would be easy for BB tech support to replicate this bug yourselves and YOU can ask for network logs if they are really needed. I expect that a quick look at the code for calendar notifications will show that timezones are not handled.

The whole timezone thing needs to be sorted. Last week on 10.1.0.2309 my Q10 would not update the clock time, so I spent a week in my base timezone as far as it was concerned.

I have upgraded to 10.1.0.4181 and hope for better things.

New Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: EE

I can confirm that notifications in the reminder app are still out of sync in 10.2.0.1767 (yes a 10.2 leak).

I am in the UK and we are currently in BST (GMT+1) so I presume the problem will go away for me in 2 weeks and then return in March 2014 Smiley Happy

Also, I am using activesync with outlook.com and if I add a task to reminder within my outlook.com folder in reminder, I can only enter the date (not time) and it appears in outlook.com online as 11pm yesterday.

My settings on the phone and outlook.com are GMT (BST or Daylight saving is not an option).

BB support - please acknowledge this as still an issue and sort it.