Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: 9900 Currently, as well Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Q10/Z10 Contacts Major Problem - Error when receiving text messages and Calls

Please help, 

I am currently back using my 9900 because of the following:

2 weeks ago I bought the white Z10, after a few issues and many hours on the phone with Rogers I thought all things were fine.  However, I then noticed some of my text messages were not displaying the persons name who is associated with the number.  The messages would only show a phone number.  I also received some calls with the same problem.  Only a phone number would display and not the associated named that was saved in my contact list. Because of all the previous issues, I figured I had a glitching phone and decided I better return it before my allowed return period was over.  So I then decided to try the Q10.  

I got the white Q10.  (both devices are white...shouldn't make a difference but I am noting it anyways).

On my drive home I received a few text messages with only phone numbers displayed.  This was fine as I had no contacts stored yet.  I got home and did the software upgrade via link, and then transfered over my 9900 info via link.  Instantly I had a problem with the text messages.  

I sent one text out.  However the responses from this person came in under 4 different contacts names.  For example if I sent the message to Joe, I got responses back from doug, mike, harry, and frank.  All these people are stored in my contact list, but I had no communication with them.  I then replied (as I was confused), and then got messages again from some more new names in my contact list.  This is obviously IMPOSSIBLE  to use a phone behaving like this.  I imediately called rogers and switched back my sim to the 9900.

The problems seem to be worse on the Q10.

I have over 600 contacts, so editing them by hand is not an option.  I have only used blackberries for the past 10 or so years, so there should be no compatibility issues.  

I have tried deleting all contacts and syncing them with hotmail.  This did not work to resolve the problem.  I have tried an app called intouchapp, which did not work.  I have tried using the device switch through media card to resolve this..and this did not work.  

I need help ASAP to resolve this.  I really want to continue being a dedicated BB user, but cannot do so with this problem.  I cannot run my business if I don't know who is calling or texting...and if the messages are not reading properly.  I have also posted on another forum, but no one can help there either.

Please help!

thank you.

Contributor
My Device: Q10

Re: Q10/Z10 Contacts Major Problem - Error when receiving text messages and Calls

Ok - here is a solution:

go to your local hardware store.

Go to the isle with hammers

Pick the largest one you can find.

Put the phone on a rock

Swing the hammer high above your head and let it drop on the Q10

You have now achieved far mor pleasure from the phone than would otherwise be possible in a year, and much less frustration

Then, go to your local telehone shop and buy a 9900

Sit down and relax ( and answer the phone, texts and emails, as they arrive, without frustration)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the Q10 is driving us all crazy

New Contributor

Re: Q10/Z10 Contacts Major Problem - Error when receiving text messages and Calls

ProfessionalMan wrote:

Ok - here is a solution:

go to your local hardware store.

Go to the isle with hammers

Pick the largest one you can find.

Put the phone on a rock

Swing the hammer high above your head and let it drop on the Q10

You have now achieved far mor pleasure from the phone than would otherwise be possible in a year, and much less frustration

Then, go to your local telehone shop and buy a 9900

Sit down and relax ( and answer the phone, texts and emails, as they arrive, without frustration)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the Q10 is driving us all crazy

LOL thanks for the help.  That hammer might even fix the call display, as I wouldn't have one.  It would stop me from assuming.

I have experienced minor problems with new BBs in the past, but this isn't a minor one.  I can't beleive they have not fixed it yet.  No wonder all my friends are trying to get me to switch to icrap or android.  With issues like this, maybe I will have to consider it. 

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone Faroe Islands

I have the same problem with my Z10 - when I recive an SMS only the phonenumber appers and not the name. When I try to add the number to a contact, it´s already there.

But if I create a new SMS the contact apperars. It happend when i updated to the latest version 10.1.0.273.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I sync my contacts with FB and Gmail.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone Faroe Islands

Problem solved Smiley Happy

Press phone icon down in left corner.

Drag from top and press settings.

Press #Smart Dialling

Set Country Code to the correct country

Set Extention Lenght to the correct digits.

Get someone to send you a SMS text message, and the name will appear according to the person in the phonebook.

-hjalmar 

New Contributor

Because of the situation I returned the Z10.  I have been waiting to hear and see if the problem is fixed.  I hope a few others can confirm this solved the problem for them, and then I will go back and get another phone.

thanks for the help and update!  

Can others please confirm this solves the problem??

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know.  My settings were all correct to begin with, and I am having similar problems.  Mysteriously, the Q10 combines my contacts in error - or sometimes simply loses the information.

New Contributor

That is what I was afraid of.  I had serious problems with the q10, and the z10 was just more annoying.  Iol I guess I am still waiting for the update then......sighhhh

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: telenor

Yeah the solution worked thanks for the help hjalmar