Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Q10 connects to Media Card but not Device (Photos, Documents, etc.)

Okay, I'm having a doozy of a time trying to figure this out. I've tried seven ways to Sunday and it's just not working the way it should.

In the past, with BB Pearl, Curve ,and Bold, the device always connected upon USB contact with my computer... I could access photos I had taken and saved to the device as well as photos I had taken and saved to a memory card.

Now, it isn't connecting right. If the Mass Storage option is turned on, I can access photos on the memory card (on my computer, it's the F drive)

Oddly enough, the few times it has connected right, they show up as the Y and the Z drives. The Y drive is the memory card and the Z drive is the deivce drive.

I thought I had it figured out, that if I wanted to access the device, then I had to have the mass storage turned to off and if I wanted to access the memory card, I'd have to switch it to on.

It was working that way yesterday. I connected it to my computer and wala, everything connected, and it started backing it up right away.

Today, nada.

I've tried multiple USB cables and they're all working fine. Currently, I'm using the USB cable that came with the Q10.

It doesn't matter if the bluetooth is on or off and it seems to require that the method of accessing documents is to connect by auto detect (vs connect to Windows) in the storage/media access.

Sometimes when I plug it in, both old and new version of BB desktop pop up (BB Link and BB Desktop) The Desktop detects that it's connected to a Q10 but that there is no support for it.

Could it be that I need to uninstall BB Desktop, maybe there's a software conflict in there somewhere?

I just can't get it connect consistently! Help!

Thanks!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry 9360

Re: Q10 connects to Media Card but not Device (Photos, Documents, etc.)

Hello scarlett 67,

Sorry to hear you are having issues connecting to your BlackBerry® Q10 smartphone to your PC.

To clarify does your and the PC recognize that the BlackBerry® Q10 smartphone? If so, there should be two drives that are recognized in My Computer; Y drive which is your device memory and X drive is your media card. Ensure to open both the photo and camera files on the X drive to search for the pictures that are saved on your media card.

BlackBerry® Desktop Software and BlackBerry® Link should function successfully on the same computer. Check out this article for more details. 

Please let us know if you are able to successfully access your media card on your computer.

-RoundBrown

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

From what I understand, you want to access both the media card and the device storage as a drive in "my Computer". I had the same problem. What I found (at least on my computer) in Windows 7, once the phone is plugged in, in the bottom right tray there should be an icon that looks like a computer and cell phone. Right click on that and go to properties. A new window should pop open with your device, press on the "+". Then "+" again beside "volumes". Should then show "internal" and "removable". Right click on internal and "mount drive"

That should then let you access the phones internal storage. Good luck

Contributor

Hello, thank you for your response. When I connect to my computer, which runs Windows 7, the computer recognizes that the Q10 is connected and the F: drive opens up. This is only when the mass storage option is set to on. From the F:\ drive, I can access photos that are saved to the media card. BlackBerry Link also opens up as does the former BlackBerry Desktop Software. BlackBerry Link recognizes that the Q10 is connected but only reads the media card. BlackBerry Desktop registers that the Q10 is connected but a popup box says that BlackBerry 10 is not supported.

However, if the mass storage option is set to off, then the F: drive disappears and I can't access anything.

On the random handful of times that I've connected the Q10 where all the stars and the moon were aligned correctly, no F: drive comes up; instead, it's a Y: and a Z: drive that comes up. The Y: drive replaces the F: drive and I can access the media card stuff from there and from the Z: drive, I can access stuff saved on the actual device memory.

Contributor

Hi, thanks for your response. I see the icon in the right tray on my Windows 7. It's BlackBerry Device Manager. When I right click on it, it doesn't show any connected devices...

But, the computer does recognize that the Q10 is connected because I can access the F: drive (with mass storage turned on) but the Y: and the Z: drives don't come up where I can access stuff on the device itself.

Does anyone think I need to uninstall the former BlackBerry Desktop software?

Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't think Blackberry Desktop has anything to do with it because I still have it installed. I now have Q10 showing the Y and Z drive as Network locations every time. (mass storage option is Off). I would check to make sure your Windows and Blackberry are updated. (I'd use the in phone update as opposed to bbLink). The only thing I'm not sure about is why your BlackBerry is not appearing in BlackBerry device manager
New Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: 3

I've found that if mass storage is set to "on", the SD card shows up as D: and Blackberry Link can't see the Q10 when it's plugged in. On the other hand, setting mass storage to "off" shows up the SD card as Y: and the internal memory as Z:, plus Blackberry Link sees the phone.

Seems to me that setting mass storage mode cripples everything, which leads me to wonder what am I missing? Why have the card made available as a drive (D) but then disable functionality for everything else?

My Carrier: Telkomsel

I had the same problem for several day lately since got back from out of town for office duty purpose..

Coz I'm using my Q10 mostly to supporting my job so I'm oftenly conneting my Q10 in my office laptop..

So I asking my software (division) staff to check whether there's any changing setting up of my laptop when I was gone..

It just found that the problem is the hardware division had block the "windows installer" (they made it "off"),

so no one can install any new program without any permission from the IT Division...

So might be since we connected to the PC using Q10 cable data and will always read as a

"new" hardware that might be need to be install, then there won't be any respond for the phone,

it wont read the device..

Hopefully this information can be helpfull..