06-13-2013 10:53 PM
I have had problems with my contacts from the moment I started using the Q10. I have a hosted exchange email account from GoDaddy that has worked flawlessly for years on my old bold, and now with the exchange activesync none of my contacts are on my phone.
Initially it synced up and everything was fine. Then I noticed a day or two later when using whatsapp that I could not contact one of my friends. When i went back to my contacts, only my linkedin contacts were listed along with facebook etc. I updated my settings to disable linkedin and other programs from rendering in my contacts list, but they still remained there.
My exchange activesync was set as my default calendar and contacts, but still no contacts show. Calendar seems to work fine. I then deleted all of my accounts, pulled the battery, and re-tried adding the exchange activesync account. Still no contacts.
Then a few hours later, my exchange activesync contacts are filled with linkedin contacts. What is going on here?
A lot of other stuff has happened... and sometimes things work, but then they randomly get messed up again. There is no correlation between the syncing features I have selected and what is actually happening with my phone.
This is absolutely unacceptable.... i need my f-ing contacts. This is a simple and core feature that needs to work. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?
06-13-2013 11:10 PM
06-13-2013 11:36 PM
Good thought, I did indeed contact GoDaddy a few days ago and they confirmed on their end everything is working fine. I have an Android and iPad and both of those devices work perfectly with activesync. It's only now with my Q10 that problems have popped up. I would much rather be using an account with enterprise activation, but there are very few companies that provide BES 10 support so it looks like activesync is my only option...
If it can work on a 2 year old Android and an iPad, it should work just the same or better on a brand new Blackberry.
06-13-2013 11:40 PM
06-14-2013 01:17 PM
I can tell you that linkedin (if you have it configured to sync to your contacts list) will create a separate contact for your linkedin connections in Outlook. It's actually kind of annoying as I'd rather they sync w/ them but that may be too difficult a task.
So, when you deleted your contacts, linkedin was the first to refill the bucket. Those contacts had probably been there before and you didn't notice in the midst of all your Outlook direct contacts.
Now as to why your regular contacts aren't populating back in - that's another issue. Based on the task synchronization issues I'm having and other posts all over the map on calendar etc, i would guess there is some BB10 work to be done on clean Exchange synchronization.
06-14-2013 02:27 PM
what exactly do you mean about Linkedin sync to my contacts? In my Blackberry Q10 contacts settings I have disabled LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter etc from syncing to my phone contacts. The only thing 'On' is my Hosted Exchange Activesync, but none of those contacts are in my phone. Conversely, all of the LinkedIn contacts are still in my phone.
On my desktop computer I do have Outlook setup with the LinkedIn Social Connector but i dont think that should impact my phone.... it doesnt carry-over to my Androir or iPad, both of which are activesync devices.
06-14-2013 03:17 PM
06-14-2013 03:27 PM
I wish that were true. I do have them 'Off' but they are not filtering out of the views in my phone contacts. And they are showing up in my Exchange Activesync contacts.... while none of my Exchange Activesync contacts are visible at all.
06-14-2013 04:44 PM
06-24-2013 04:26 PM
I'm not able to explain the reason for all of this, but what I found is the following:
1) I had all the symptoms you described. Using activesync with a hosted exchange service (2013), I synced my Z10 for the first time and all my contacts associated with my email would be synced on my Z10. After a time period, the contacts on my Z10 would be replaced with my Linkedin contacts.
2) A couple of the solutions I noted in forums were to "reset" the syncing related to the contacts, which involved altering the activesync setting to not sync the contacts (which would delete the contacts) and the reactivate. My contacts associated with my email address would repopulate but then after a time period, revert to the Linkedin contacts.
3) I then realized that my Linkedin address book in my Outlook 2013 was also appearing in my OWA, which I thought was interesting because that meant the Linkedin contacts were hosted/synced on my exchange server. Again, wasn't aware of this and thought the Linkedin address book in Outlook was local. When I deleted the Linkedin address book in my Outlook, my contacts in my Z10 reverted to my contacts associated with email acconut.
So in conclusion, the Outlook Social Connector, which populates the Linkedin address book, seems to populate the Linkedin contacts to the exchange server and then over time (not sure what triggers this), activesync pushes it to the Z10 as the primary address book associated with the email account.
My solution, although frustrating because you don't have a Linkedin address book in Outlook, is to remove the Outloook Social Connector, delete the Linkedin address book in Outlook, and then resync your contacts in your Z10. Since doing this I have had no disappearing contacts (well, until yesteday when I installed an Outlook update and social connector was reinstalled - just have to complete the same procedure again).