Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodacom

Q10 poor reception

I have had my new Q10 for a few weeks now and the reception is terrible. The problem started at my office with my collegues receiving proper signals with their BB Curves and Bolds. They have no voice service problems, whilst my phone calls drop frequently, it often reads "Emergency Calls Only" & "Searching for Network", etc. The biggest frustration is when I drive out of town and my Q10 becomes useless, whilst the person next to me, using a Curve or Bold on the same Vodacom carrier, has proper reception, most of the times.

I changed my "Network Selection Mode" to "Automatic" and it mostly choses 3G. I know from experience that 4G is a rumour in our rural areas and that the towers outside of town barely supports proper GSM, let alone 3G or 4G.
I also cahnged my SIM card - no difference.
I am about to try and swap this handset, but fear that the problem may be the same. The other issue is that a Vodashop will normally not swap anything, but rather send it for repair, leaving me for weeks needing to use an old handset and having to get a normal SIM again (Q10' s micro SIM will not work in older models and Vodashop does not offer adaptors). They may then just come back to me to let me know the handset is fine. Yes, their client service sucks.

I am also failing to reply or forward on emails, even though the reception appears to be fine, although I receive emails fine when the reception is good. Not sure if the email problem is related to the above reception problems.

At first I thought the problem was generic, but temporary with the carrier (Vodacom, South Africa), which is not uncommon from time to time in our rural areas, sometimes lasting for weeks - Vodacom uses Telkom's backbone, I am let to believe, which has disasterous service problems. I am seriously considering to change my carrier, but that's another topic and I believe is unrelated to my Q10 problem.
Retired
My Device: Z10 9800 9900

Re: Q10 poor reception

Hey Kalahari,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question and all the detail that was provided. In response to your issue, please contact your network service provider (Vodacom) to investigate this further.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,

-WW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

I have the same problem with my Q10. My provider did nothing about it.
Contributor
My Carrier: Celcom

I have the same problem, while I was on call, I have very frequent call drop.

I put it on speaker mode and saw very sudden call drop. Seems like the signal is too sensitive in certain areas.

Running on 3G btw

My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

I am having the same problem with reception, bars, missed calls and dropped calls.  Let's face it, the Blackberry Q10 appeals to no one but business people and die hard keyboard enthusiasts.  That's why I decided to give it a try. This is the 5th Blackberry device I have owned since 2007.  I have been extremely loyal to the brand even though others jumped ship long ago. I previously had a Torch that was still working properly.  Now I have a shiny new paperweight with a Blackberry logo.  This thing has embarassed me numerous times by causing me to miss phone calls and disconnecting me in the middle of business calls.  AT&T gave me a new sim, same problem. AT &T gave me anotherQ10 device with yet another sim, same problem.  It is the device.  This leaves me with one option, pay outright for another brand of phone that actually works.  What a long wait for these Blackberry 10 devices to be released in the US and what a let down. Thanks Blackberry...for nothing. Next stop...Samsung Galaxy Note ii.

My Carrier: Verizon

Response from Blackberry was not very helpful or supportive.  I am having the same problem with my Q10 using Verizon.  Calls seem to be going straight to voice mail, I assume because of lack of reception, in places where I used to have no problem before getting the Q10 (but also with verizon).  I have had an increase in calls dropping, as well as people who tell me I'm breaking up when I speak....also in areas where I never used to have a problem.  I very rarely see more than 2 bars on the phone, no matter where I am.  When I have seen more than 2 it never lasted very long.  Is there an antenna problem????  I love the Q10 but have to be able to get my calls.  What do you suggest??

Hi there

I am also with Vodacom and have the same problem. I took my device back two weeks ago and was advised that it would be sent to the advanced repair centre. I got a brand new device back this week however it is still not allowing me to make calls when I need to - 'emergency calls only' is its typical status.

This is a very big problem for me because I need to be reachable at all time and I am simply not with this device. I used to complain about my iPhone dropping calls but this device is on a whole new level. I am going to lobby vodacom to take it back and give me an iPhone 5. The sad part is I really like th Q10 but one cannot have a phone that is of no utiliity. What if I have an emergency? This crossed my mind when I was driving from the airport at night and I needed to make an urgent call. Unacceptable.

I returned my Q10 last week as well.  Broke my heart to do it because I absolutely loved the phone!!!  But I too need to be reachable, it is the number I give to people caring for my kids.  I was told, whether it's true or not I'm not sure, that blackberry was concerned about draining the battery with a strong internet usage, so they lowered something having to do with phone reception.  If it is true, sounds a little crazy since it is a cellPHONE.  Internet is great, but it appears they have forgotten the main usage for the device.  Meanwhile, I'm back to my little flip phone because I need actual phone service and I cannot stand those touch keypads!!  VERY SAD!!!!

PS - why is there still no response from the blackberry technical advisor?
New Contributor

The only answer from Blackberry is the above thread to contact my service provider. Well, they referred me back to Blackberry without hesitation. I did find a slight improvement when doing the following:

1. Update the handset's software- you will need a wireless connection - no chance to download 160MB via the network.

2. I chose the following new Network Option that appears: LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM 

You access the above network options via User System Settings / Network Connections / Mobile Network.

It is indeed better, but the problem is not solved.

Attention to BB technicians - Your silence is deafening!