Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: q10
My Carrier: Smart communications philippines

Q10 sms forwarding as email problem

I have been using 9900 bold for almost 2 years now, and have been very satisfied with its performance for my business use. I just purchased a Q10 unit and to my dissapointment the forward as feature is no longer available in the Q10. I have sales people stationed in remote areas where internet is not a common means of communication and most people use sms to convey their concerns to me, which in turn i email to the specific departments at my office.

I barely used the Q10 for a few hours and moved back to my bold 9900 and now am in a dilemna as to how to deal with this issue.

Can someone please help.

The option of cut and paste or screenshot and email are not something i would be willing to deal with as i handle about 50-60 sms transactions a day.

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Q10 sms forwarding as email problem

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Have you looked at the "Share" function from SMS? If, on the exact message you wish to forward, you press and hold long enough to bring up the copy bars (two blue dots with some selected words between), you can then adjust the blue dots to the exact bit of text you wish to use, or if you want the entire single message just use the right-pull "Select All" option. Then, once you have highlighted the exact bit of text you want, you use the right-pull "Share" button, you will be able to share it to whatever email account you wish to use to send "From". An email compose screen will open, and the text you selected in the SMS will be inserted as the body of the email, ready for you to do whatever you desire.

While perhaps a little more cumbersome than you want, it is not as cumbersome as a true full copy/paste (it's actually doing exactly that, but automating a bit of it for you via the Share button).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, however if I have to do the same thing 50 times a day on a daily basis, its a cumbersome task, and kind of defeats the purpose of moving to a newer and supposedly better OS. I hope Blackberry makes modifications in the 10.2 that would also cover this ommission. Anybody knows what application reads the so-called .txt attachment the OS10 forwards when you forward the sms to email just using the share function.
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes I understand your dilemma, but I believe this should not be difficult to solve.

From your BB Hub select the SMS by pressing down and holding on the message, this should activate a option bar on the right side of your screen with the following icons:

• <--  represents reply
  • --> represents forward
  • "envelope" symbol represents read or unread
  • "contact" symbol - access the contact who sent the message
  • "select" symbol for multiple message selections
  • "trashcan" symbol to delete message

Once the above option bar is activated you can lift your finger from the text message and select the  the --> or forward icon.  The SMS can then be forwarded to multiple email addresses or sent to a mobile numbers by typing in the appropriate contacts and selecting the preferred addresses.

Hope the helps.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

@BBQ10Jay -- In trying your suggested method, what gets created (at least for me) is another Text Message, not an email compose window. Addressing it to an email address has no impact on it, and it does not (for me) arrive to the email address to which I sent it. I believe that the "forward" function, as presently implemented in BB10, is restricted to forwarding as SMS/MMS only, and does not convert to Email as the OP desired. The method I provided is the only one that I could find that does as the OP desired.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

saltnpep wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, however if I have to do the same thing 50 times a day on a daily basis, its a cumbersome task, and kind of defeats the purpose of moving to a newer and supposedly better OS.

Yes, as I said, it is cumbersome...but it is a compromise, is it not? It is more cumbersome than you had to do in the past, but less cumbersome than you conducting the copy/paste steps yourself (which, from your original post, is what you feared, and would not accept). In the method I suggest, there are considerably fewer steps that you must conduct when compared to the manual copy/paste, so it is an improvement on that. No, it is not what you want, but it is not as bad as you feared. I wish I could give you a better answer, but I simply can't create for you something that simply does not exist.

saltnpep wrote:
I hope Blackberry makes modifications in the 10.2 that would also cover this ommission.

We all hope that many things from the past will appear in BB10. However, please do consider that BB10 was not an evolution from BBOS...rather, it was developed totally new, from "the ground up", and did not (from all we can see, being "outsiders") take into account the design considerations from the past, and instead created an entirely new set of design aspects to incorporate. We all wish that they had done a different process, but this as well is something that we "outsiders" can't change.

saltnpep wrote:
Anybody knows what application reads the so-called .txt attachment the OS10 forwards when you forward the sms to email just using the share function.

Can you please expand on that? What, exact, function (on the device) did you use? From your description here, it sounds different from what I provided to you. From I provided, the result is clear text in the body of the email, with the text content being the selected portion of the SMS message prior to conducting the Share. So I'm unclear as to what you are asking about here...

Thanks and let us know!

New Contributor

Its on the same subject matter, I did try sharing the sms msg and sending it to an email address, it comes it as an attachment with the .txt, which can't be opened by any program neither on the BB neither a PC.
Hall of Famer III

Well, without further detail, I'm not sure how to help. You see, I can't tell if you did as I suggested or as @BBQ10Jay suggested...each were different methods suggested, but by you just saying "share", it does not clarify which of those two methods you used.

Further, did you try sending to different email addresses on different domains? For example, when I tried with my method, sending to an email address hosted at Network Solutions, then forwarded to Gmail, the SMS text is the body of the email itself...not an attachment at all. So it is possible that the email domain to which you sent is the problem, not being able to handle the content properly.

But, again, with limited details, all I can do is guess...and provide you with the details of what works for my situation, in the hopes you can find a configuration that works for your situation.

New Contributor

@sdgardne- the scenario I had mentioned about the .txt attachment which arrives in beneficiary email when I had initially tried, when I got the Q10. This happened when I selected the sms, share and emailed it, what arrived into the email was an attachment with the.txt ending and not the text body as it normally comes in emails.
Hall of Famer III

Thank you, but I still cannot tell, from your description, if you are trying my method, or the method proposed by @BBQ10Jay. The two methods are different, and your words do not adequately describe it for me to understand which you are attempting. Both methods involve using "Share", but the process prior to selecting "Share" is where the difference is.

You say that you "selected the sms" and then shared/emailed it. Via the method proposed by @BBQ10Jay, that actually doesn't work for me at all...nothing at all arrives to the destination email address. But, via the method I suggested, what arrives is good and proper -- an email, with the body text of the email being the selected SMS content.

So, you see, from your words, I cannot quite tell exactly which of those two different methods you are attempting. If you are attempting the method I proposed, then our results are different...which is what led me to suggest you try sending to a different email domain, to see if perhaps it's the email domain to which you sent that is not handling the SMS content correctly (since, in my scenario, it worked fine, with the email domains to which I sent my test).

But, you've not shared the email domain to which you've sent...I shared that I sent to Network Solutions, which forwards to Gmail. Details like that might help us to help you...as it is, all I can do is continue to encourage you try different destination email domains to see if you can determine which work correctly for you and which do not. But, again, that is still dependent on which of the two different methods you are using...and so far I still do not understand that.