Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Q10 worst "new" device ever!

Mrsoup wrote:

I just double checked and it is in fact off.... as is my facebook option and it still pulls them up. Is there something in the main settings perhaps?

Wait, pulls what up? You said you were getting results puled up on contacts from the internet. Do you mean that you're getting other applications' contacts pulled up? Like you're looking for Joe Smith in your contacts and you're getting his Facebook account and other stuff?

Mrsoup wrote:

On an additional note, is there a quick way to turn on the vibrate or silent option? On my Bold and previous Curves, you just had to press and hold the q/# key and it would turn on or off vibrate. This was an awesome feature I would LOVE to have back!

Swipe once from the top edge and touch ONLY the actual notification icon, not the text oif "notifications". That will toggle between Normal and whatever you had last, Vibrate or Silent. If you touch the word "notifications" you will bring up the settings screen, you only want to touch the actual icon.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

I must admit that I find this device extremely frustrating as well.  I do not find it at all intuitive.  Consider turning off the notifications during a meeting.  It used to be obvious from the home screen.  No longer.

Then onto the volume setting.  No go.

Then to google for instructions.  Instructions (finally found) say: go to settings (which itself requires a few swipes), then applications, then choose the app, then choose the notification to be turned off.

Call to Balckberry support for instructions which states that swiping down the home screen will provide a list of options, including notification, and then it is possible to more easily turn it off. 

Now I suppose that this can elicit a response to the effect that if I had been smarter I could have figured it out more easily.  To that, I would say that I am prepared to defer to the masses and if it meets everyone else's sense of intuition, then good job!  For my part, I have never had this issue with any other of my many, many devices, ever, and after many months of sticking with it to "learn" this particular Blackberry, I say "I am done".  In fact, for the first time in 15 years of being the first on board with the new Blackberries,  I am ready to give up the keyboard.  "Bring on the iphone".

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

[ Edited ]

To turn off notifications: Swipe down from the top, tap on the bell icon ==> your phone is silent. This takes 0.5 seconds to do.

Volume setting: What is the exact problem? Please elaborate and we try to help.

Super Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Even quicker way - push any number key or the lock/unlock key to show the lock screen, then just swipe down to activate the alarm screen - done, notifications are off Smiley Happy
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

I greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you! But without signing up for this community and receiving this great advice, how am I supposed to know that bringing down the alarm clock will silence the notifications? It's a little bit like saying "Here, have a bite of this apple - it will start the laundry machine!"
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

Bringing down the alarm clock is entering your device into bedside mode. There is a help app for this.

On an iPhone you need to double-click on the home button and then swipe the app up to properly close it. Is that intuitive?

For every smartphone there are things that are not intuitive and you have to read up.
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

poweruser wrote:
 But without signing up for this community and receiving this great advice, how am I supposed to know that bringing down the alarm clock will silence the notifications?

You've found one of the benefits and joys of being part of this community!

This and other, such as this blog: http://helpblog.blackberry.com/category/five-tip-friday/

The Five Tip Friday posts from @TyW  are great to follow.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If it is not locked, you can use the actual keyboard for your one-touch dialing shortcuts now.

>Eddieazar wrote:
>One touch dialing is now 3 touch dialing.