Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl Flip
My Carrier: Verizon

Reception

Question:  I just "upgraded" from a Bold 9930 to the Q10.  I noticed something strange.  It seems that I have fewer bars for signal strength on my Q10 than I did on the 9930 (in the same place in the house).  Does that make sense?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, Z30

Re: Reception

I noticed the same thing at first. I believe I was in a weak LTE pocket at the time. So, what I did was to swipe down from top edge > Network Connections > Mobile Network and I changed Network Mode from "LTE & 4G/3G & 2G" to "4G & 3G & 2G". Now my network performance is the same as it was on my 9900. It doesn't have the super fast speed that it could but the network is more reliable. 

Twitter: @sheldonbk
New Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I am not sure that I understand.  Id the "4G Lte" setting a faster network?  Also, I don't seem to be able to switch!  I don't have that option.  Lastly, I haven't seen noticeable difference in the connection quality from the 9930, just the signal indicator shows fewer bars.

sheldonbk wrote:

I noticed the same thing at first. I believe I was in a weak LTE pocket at the time. So, what I did was to swipe down from top edge > Network Connections > Mobile Network and I changed Network Mode from "LTE & 4G/3G & 2G" to "4G & 3G & 2G". Now my network performance is the same as it was on my 9900. It doesn't have the super fast speed that it could but the network is more reliable. 

Trusted Contributor

I had the same confusion. LTE is technically not 4G, so in theory, the order of choices should be different. The choices may be different on different networks. The point was that for me on Rogers, the LTE network isn't as well developed as their 3G+ or whatever they called the best network before that. So, by choosing an option which didn't include LTE, I removed the LTE faster network and choose to use the more reliable slower network. It really depends on how solid a signal you get on Verizon in your area from the different technology networks. 

New Contributor

Would this affect internet speed and voice calls?
Trusted Contributor

We'll, if you have only one bar on LTE and five on 3G then I assume you're more vulnerable to dropping a call also. I was thinking mostly about data though.