Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Visitor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: BlackBerry

Screen goes black during unanswered incoming call

Sometimes the screen will go black while the phone rings and will intermittently flash back on and off.  Is this a known glitch and is there any fix?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Screen goes black during unanswered incoming call

Hello moore746 and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with your screen.

To clarify, as the device is ringing, the screen will fade to black then back on before you are able to slide to answer or reject the call? 

Or is this screen fade out happening once the call is connected?

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Goes black as its ringing, I have the same issuse and at times I think it may be a text or something so I may not even unlock the screen in time to answer

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Mromage wrote:

Goes black as its ringing, I have the same issuse and at times I think it may be a text or something so I may not even unlock the screen in time to answer

Hello Mromage and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

To clarify, as soon as your phone starts to ring, the screen goes black? If you hit the lock button or swipe on the screen does it re-illuminate? 

Does this only happen with calls or with all incoming notifications?

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my phone. Happens two or three times a day.

when i try to touch or drag to answer it the blacking out will not stop till the incoming call ends then I have to call them back. It only happens on incoming calls for me, no other notices or alerts, hitting the unlock button doesn't make it stop either.

Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi, I'm having the same problem and it would be great if someone could help me figure it out.  Screen goes black when I receive an incoming call WHEN DEVICE IS PASSWORD PROTECTED.  And, I travel a lot and have already lost one phone, so I'm not willing to travel anymore without a password on the phone.  But, this bugs me enough to make me want to get rid of the phone (I just got it last week). 

Phone rings, screen is black, and no amount of swiping will give me the option to answer the phone. I've missed quite a few calls.  Very frustrating.  I notice if I do a hard shutdown, and then power back up, it will be okay for a while, but then the same behavior will start again.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

sydneyp wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same problem and it would be great if someone could help me figure it out.  Screen goes black when I receive an incoming call WHEN DEVICE IS PASSWORD PROTECTED.  And, I travel a lot and have already lost one phone, so I'm not willing to travel anymore without a password on the phone.  But, this bugs me enough to make me want to get rid of the phone (I just got it last week). 

Phone rings, screen is black, and no amount of swiping will give me the option to answer the phone. I've missed quite a few calls.  Very frustrating.  I notice if I do a hard shutdown, and then power back up, it will be okay for a while, but then the same behavior will start again.

I did a hard shutdown last week also and mine is still working, but i don't get a high volume of calls so I guess i just have to wait and see if it works.

I hope it does cause I really love this phone.

Highlighted
My Carrier: Rogers

My understanding is that it has something to do with the light sensor near the ear speaker.

You'll notice this happening if you are in a darker area or holding your hand over or near the sensor.

Hopefully they'll fix it soon. It's beyond annoying.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems to happen more if I have my hand too near the top, but it could be the sensor as you said, I may be blocking that without realizing it.

It doesn't seem to make a difference on mine in a darker area or not.

I just know that as long as I make sure to keep my fingers all tucked in on my swiping hand and stay in the center of the screen when answering I have no problem.

you are right it is beyond annoying, luckily it doesn't happen excessively to me.

Contributor
My Carrier: EE

Mine does the same.

Also, my Q10 sometimes displays contacts as having no info.

And it randomly takes email accounts off line.

Oh - and It shows a totally white screen sometimes when I open the settings menu.

Blackberry, you have a BIG problem on your hands with this phone.