Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: O2

Setting up Gmail with alternate sending addresses on the Q10

My Googling so far has given me conflicting answers, so I'm hoping the experts here can help ... Smiley Wink

I have a Gmail account to which I've added several other accounts. On my Galaxy S2, I use the Gmail app and can choose the sending address for each email, and indeed set a default.

So far I haven't been able to recreate this on my Q10. Can it be done?

I know some people have used the phone's browser and its Gmail interface, but I'd prefer, for the time being at least, to use the Q10's email client..

Thanks ...

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9900 Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Setting up Gmail with alternate sending addresses on the Q10

I was having the same problem and found a solution. Use advanced settings on q10. Set up new gmail(not Imap account) account. Under user name use your gmail address. Under email address use your desired address. The desired  address should have been already set up as an alias in your gmail settings.

Everything else should stay the same. Click done and you should be ready to go. Worked for me.

Here is another description of the process I found

1- You have to set on gmail server your alias parameters
2- On the Z10, you have to set following parameters (in mail account parameters) : 
Description = your choice
Name = your choice
User name : your gmail email account : for example : toto@gmail.com
email address : you alias email acount : for exemple : toto@toto.com
password : gmail password
server : imap.gmail.com
port : 993
Cryptage : SSL
SMTP Username account : your gmail email account : toto@gmail.com
SMTP Password : gmail password
SMTP address server : smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port : 465
Cryptage : SSL
Push : up to you

Now, you can use your alias. If you send a message from the Z10, your email address will betoto@toto.com. And there is no problem in outlook or other mail software or webmail, you address istoto@toto.com (no alias, no "on behalf", etc.). 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I am trying to set up an alias email so people reply to that e mail rather than my gmail e mail. I see your instruction. However, the change I need to make is no available to me. I can edit just about every filed in the above list, but I can't edit the email field. BB wil not let me access it! Help! How do i access it?

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: O2

I am running BB10.2.1.3062 on a Q10 and when I try and set up a GMail account with an alias address as my email address and my username as my SMTP username, the app tries to log into Google with the email address and not the SMTP username:

Furthermore, once the account is set up, the email address becomes non-editable, so you can't change it afterwards either.

Username: name@gmail.com

Email Address: name@mydomain.com

SMTP Username: name@gmail.com

This fails SMTP authentication with Google as it tries to log in as name@mydomain.com even though name@mydomain.com is set up as a verified alias.

Consequently I can't register my Alias as a valid address because I can't log into google. The only way is to access GMail with that address is through the browser, which is clunky and doesn't work with the Hub.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.