Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Support options?

This may sound like a silly question, but is there any support option where I can TALK to someone from Blackberry? 

I bought the BB because I thought it concentrates on users that need their phones for work and not for silly games or MP3s. According to the specs this phone should have >12h of speak time and >14d of standby. I'm getting hardly 1.5 days of usage making less than 1h of calls per day and using no apps/games/etc other than the reminders of my calendar and looking up the phone numbers of the maybe 5 people I call in a day. This simply can't be. Quite frankly I'm not buying something for >500 Euro to then try to debug the thing with the help of other users.

The Q10 is basicly the same price as an iPhone, but included in this price at Apple is free phone support for 90 days and in-shop support for those that are lucky enough to live anywhere near a shop. I cant believe the best BB has to offer is "call your operator".

Regards,

Joachim

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Support options?

That's BlackBerry's support model; the carrier handles the triage and escalates issues up to BlackBerry when they cannot resolve.

Tell me, do you think you'd get anything better than 1.5 days of battery life on a iPhone? You won't.

I am getting with moderate use, about 20-24 hours with my Q10. There are many battery tips if you'd like to review:

Ten ways to extend your BlackBerry Z10 battery life

That referes to the Z10, but all also apply to the Q10.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanx for the answer and the link to the battery tips.

No offense but I think that having to lay out your own setup in a public forum in the hope to get support by friendly co-sufferers is just not acceptable for a premium device, so Blackberry should change that ASAP. I saw that in the US they offer 15-days of phone support with the same or better device prices than in europe... Having to go through an operator is equally crappy - those poor guys support dozens (if not hundreds) of devices from 10 different producers and have absolutely no way of escalating an issue (and frankly very little clue about BB10).

I went through your battery tips and think that none of them are relevant to what I see. I've got the latest SW (update tip). I'm hardly using the phone during the day (brightness tip) and always lock the screen (lock screen, holster tip). I'm not using Games either. I almost always charge the phone completely (even though as it is decharges so quickly I have to charge it regularly on the road, hence through a USB port on the laptop not the Q10 charger). I'm very often in a Wifi hotspot as suggested (at home, in the office or on the train).

The accounts I've configured are

2 IMAP (with 30 minutes sync time for business and 2 hours for private),

1 Google calendar

1 iCloud contacts

1 LinkedId account

So I don't see what I could optimize there without rendering the device useless.

I've always gotten 1-2 weeks out of my Nokia communicators (which includes using them to look up things on the net for an hour or so every other day) so that was pretty close to their standby spec. I do not have an iPhone, so cant comment on its actual standby time, what I can see is that iPhone users are constantly fiddling around on their screen playing silly games, watching video clips or what do I know. So I'm not surprised those people only get 1 day of battery live. But all those things I dont do with the Q10, so in my opinion my device is on standby or if it isn't than it is "because of its own untriggered actions".

Your profile seems to indicate that you are kind of "the expert" around here so I trust your word. If 1.5 days is the actual standby time one can expect from the Q10 than BB is just giving wrong specs and I will return the device - I'll simply never get used to that. I'm already bothered by recharging my Laptop every day but hey that's a machine I'm constantly using. Imagine you use your car for 1h per day (typical commute and my typical use of the Q10) and you need to do a gas stop every evening? Who can accept that? Thats just silly.

Regards,

Joachim

joachimbuechse,

I am not a 'co-sufferer'. ok? Please don't superimpose your opinion of a piece of hardware on me.

No offense taken, so please don't make intentional offenses.

Your typical commute (one hour) and my typical commute (10 mins) are not similar.

Neither is your one hour (really, only hour of use, otherwise it is turned off the entire time?) is not typical either.

I stay on WiFi almost 20 hours/day.

You wouldn't get any better battery life from an iPhone, so you can quit comparing. You honestly won't get any better battery life from any smartphone.

Also, I have seen it several times now, that the battery life on these BB10 devices gets MUCH better after a week of use and all the inital first few days of account setup/syncing/linking etc., is complete.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

In my original posting I referenced the iPhone support options as the Q10 and iPhone are in the same price range. I could not find any BB customer support number and I think this is completely inadequate given the price point of the device.

I assume that few people come to support forums because they are happy about their devices. I dont think that I implied that you personally are a co-sufferer in fact it seems you were able to solve 5300 problems spread over almost 500 topics. That is an achievement, you should be in your comfort zone around here.

Your answers however sound more and more strange to me.

I've had the device for over a week and yes it did get a lot better. The first 3 days it didn't even make it through one working day.

I never did compare iPhone and Q10 you keep doing that and it doesnt help me figure out how to contact somebody who can help me with the inacceptable standby time of my Q10.

My usage is not normal it seems - one hour per day is hardly a lot I would think and lucky the few who need to commute less than an hour per day.

I definately dont turn the phone off when I'm not actively using it - and I do not think that BB specifies standby time in turned off mode that would probably be fraud. Also if the phone would decharge in a day even though it's turned off I would have returned it right away for an obvious production fault.

I have been using Nokia communicators for years - I'd consider them Smartphones . Everry new version got slower and buggier BUT at least their standby and usage time was always very close to the advertised values and (for me) largely in excess of one week. So it is hard to understand why that should not work anymore as you seem to imply.

As I said, thanx for the link even if those tips did not provide any additional clues to me. If you by any chance have another link providing BB phone support numbers or a link to a tool that checks why the little bugger drains its battery that would be great.

Joachim

Joachim, how can I help out?

If you need help, please ask.

If you just want to make your voice heard that you don't like the battery life and drone on other ambiguous issues, you've done that. This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration. We are users just like you.

Knowledge Base Updates

joachimbuechse wrote:.
If you by any chance have another link providing BB phone support numbers or a link to a tool that checks why the little bugger drains its battery that would be great.

Call your mobile provider. That's the way it works, regardless of the device cost or whether you think it's the business model BlackBerry should follow.

To use your automobile anaolgy: If your Mercedes has issues, you don't call or drive it to Stuttgart, and if your Ford has problems, you don't call or drive to Detroit, nor would go to direct to Korea for help on your Hyundai. You work through dealers and their support model. Apple is different. Nokia is different. BlackBerry is different.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

If you can help find out how I can get a standby time close to what BB advertises I would be more than greatful.

Blackberry is sending people here from their website, so they should better be reading. They dont provide any other way to contact them. And yes, I did call my operator. Given that I did not buy the device from the operator but from a local dealer this was very little helpful.

Just the last 10 minutes I did this little check, going to some websites and just looking for a "Contact" link:

BMW:

Sie möchten lieber persönlich mit uns sprechen? Kein Problem: Telefonische Anfragen beantwortet Ihnen gerne die BMW Kundenbetreuung unter 089 1250 160 00 (Mo. – So. von 8:00 bis 20:00 Uhr).

Mercedes:

Sie erreichen uns über folgende Kanäle

[snip]
Per Telefon: 00800 9 777 7777
(Sie erreichen uns Mo - Fr von 8.30 bis 18.00 Uhr)

Nokia:

Sie erreichen unsere Hotline Montags bis Freitags von 9:00 bis 18:00 Uhr (ausser an nationalen Feiertagen).

Telefon: 0900 070384 (2CHF/min)

Dies ist ein Richtwert für Anrufe aus dem Festsnetz. Die genauen Kosten erfahren Sie von Ihrem Mobiltelefon- oder Festnetzbetreiber.

Samsung:

Bitte prüfen Sie ob die Antwort auf Ihre Frage bereits unter Häufige Fragen verfügbar ist.Bei Fragen zu Mobiltelefonen:0848 / 67 26 78 64 (0,08 CHF / Min)Bei Fragen zu anderen Produkten:0848 / 72 67 864 (0,08 CHF /Min)Öffnungszeiten:Montag bis Freitag, 8-18 Uhr.

I haven't tried anyone else. It's pointless, they ALL have support numbers. ALL except one it seems.

You're gonna call Mercedes and ask why your engine is misfiring, or what?

I can give you a contact number for BlackBerry, it's plastered all over this forum if you searched.

RIM Worldwide Support Phone Numbers

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanx for the link to the numbers, thats really helpful. I'm amazed I didn't find them.

As to your question: Actually, my father bought a factory fresh Mercedes some 10 years ago which consumed way too much oil (wouldn't make it to the next service interval). Quite the contrary of what he had expected (i.e. high initial cost but great painless driving for years). He called Mercedes-Benz to get an official statement as to wether this is normal or not. It turned out that they considered the consumption within spec (i.e. no guarentee that oil lasts for a complete service interval). He returned that Mercedes to the dealer the same week and has been a happy Audi and VW driver ever since.

Regarding IT: We buy HPs, Dells and Macs. We use Juniper firewalls. Netgear switches, HP and Canon printers. If any of this equipment fails we call the producer - not the dealer, the electricity company or the internet provider. All of the companies I just mentioned are very helpful in resolving problems on the phone. HP + Dell send technichians on site (usually the next day) if they cant solve the problem on the phone. Apple and Canon require you to bring the device into a shop or ship it (for free) to them. Juniper sends replacement units (actually Juniper is probably the best in terms of support, they'll bend over backwards to try to make their equipment work in your environment even if the problems are clearly caused by other devices). Netgear stuff is ususally long out of waranty when it fails and too cheap to bother fixing.

cu Joachim