Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE

Unauthorised POP E-mail access and download from Blackberry IP

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

In advance, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Frankly I can't think of where to post it.

I called my carrier and they suggested here.

I upgraded from a 9900 to a lovely Q10 on UK carrier EE on Thursday 16th.

My e-mail was setup as IMAP on the Q10 and was also setup as IMAP before that on BIS for my 9900. 

On the e-mail side of things everything setup fine and was working well on the Q10.

Then on Sunday 19th at just after 7pm UK time a whole load of mail disappeared from the server. Pretty much everything from April 18th to May 18th from the inbox and all sub-folders including sent items. I contacted my e-mail provider and they said there was POP access to my e-mail account at that time from an US IP registered to Blackberry.

Presumably, given the timing,  during that POP access the missing e-mails were downloaded from the server. But they're not on my phone.

So, here are my questions:

1) I thought that with the Q10 all data traffic went through my carrier and not through Blackberry' s servers? My carrier seems to think so.

2) Even if it does go through a Blackberry server, why would there suddenly be POP access when I was setup and running as IMAP?

3) Even if there was POP access necessary, why would it remove messages from the server?

In short - Where on earth is my missing e-mail and how can I get it back?

My e-mail is both for work and personal use so losing that much is a massive work headache and of course the fact that so much information has gone to I-don't-know-where is a massive privacy / security concern.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the info I got from my e-mail provider and from whatsmyipaddress.com

We only log the most recent POP connection:2013-05-19 11:06:44 from IP 68.171.232.33 - The time was Pacific US time.

General IP Information

IP: 68.171.232.33

Decimal:1152116769

Hostname:bbcs.blackberry.net

ISP:Research In Motion

Organization:   Research In Motion

Geolocation Information

Latitude:38  (38° 0′ 0.00″ N)

Longitude:-97  (97° 0′ 0.00″ W)

Contributor

Re: Did Blackberry eat my e-mails?

Can't find any kind of contact details for Blackberry to escalate this apart from tweeting, and I'm not on Twitter. Am I looking in the wrong place? Really disappointed - the Q10's a great phone but if anything is going to make me leave BB it's the feeling that my data isn't safe.

My Device: Z10

Re: Unauthorised POP E-mail access and download from Blackberry IP

Hi Pradeepjey,

I had a similar incident with one of my users on a Q10 at approximately the same time this past Sunday, May 19th.  This Q10 was connecting via ActiveSync to a Microsoft Exchange server.   At some point in the afternoon (Eastern time), all of the user's email disappeared and they could no longer Send or Receive mail.  When they logged onto their laptop to check on the email, all of the messages for the past 30 days were in the Deleted Items folder.  

I'm not sure if this is related to your issue as it does not involve POP access, but the timing seems strange as well as the disappearing messages.

Dmaas

Contributor

Re: Unauthorised POP E-mail access and download from Blackberry IP

Hi Dmass,

That certainly does seem a strange coincidence.

The differences would be for me that the message seem to have been removed from the server, not placed in deleted items. I'm glad your user got all his information back!

I don't use Active Sync / Mocrosoft exchange, but the IP address for the POP access does seem to be one for Blackberry Buisness cloud Services, which i think is the BB system for accessing Office 365. It's very strange because not a buisness user.

Did you have any joy with Blackberry diagnosing what happend? I can't seem to get hold of them.